What are the physical and psychological health effects of suicide bereavement on family members? An observational and interview mixed-methods study in Ireland.
Affiliation1. School of Public Health, University College Cork 2. National Suicide Research Foundation, Cork, Ireland 3. Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractResearch focussing on the impact of suicide bereavement on family members' physical and psychological health is scarce. The aim of this study was to examine how family members have been physically and psychologically affected following suicide bereavement. A secondary objective of the study was to describe the needs of family members bereaved by suicide. A mixed-methods study was conducted, using qualitative semistructured interviews and additional quantitative self-report measures of depression, anxiety and stress (DASS-21). Consecutive suicide cases and next-of-kin were identified by examining coroner's records in Cork City and County, Ireland from October 2014 to May 2016. Eighteen family members bereaved by suicide took part in a qualitative interview. They were recruited from the Suicide Support and Information System: A Case-Control Study (SSIS-ACE), where family members bereaved by suicide (n=33) completed structured measures of their well-being.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States
- What are the physical and psychological health effects of suicide bereavement on family members? Protocol for an observational and interview mixed-methods study in Ireland.
- Authors: Spillane A, Larkin C, Corcoran P, Matvienko-Sikar K, Arensman E
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 30
- How suicide-bereaved family members experience the inquest process: a qualitative study using thematic analysis.
- Authors: Spillane A, Matvienko-Sikar K, Larkin C, Corcoran P, Arensman E
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- The grief experiences and needs of bereaved relatives and friends of older people dying through suicide: a descriptive and case-control study.
- Authors: Harwood D, Hawton K, Hope T, Jacoby R
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Hospice Bereavement Service Delivery to Family Members and Friends With Bereavement-Related Mental Health Symptoms.
- Authors: Ghesquiere A, Bagaajav A, Metzendorf M, Bookbinder M, Gardner DS
- Issue date: 2019 May
- The psychological impact of losing a friend to suicide.
- Authors: Bartik W, Maple M, Edwards H, Kiernan M
- Issue date: 2013 Dec