Hospital to home paediatric enteral nutrition--parents need support.
Home Care Services
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHospital to home paediatric enteral nutrition--parents need support. 2015, 108 (2):46-8 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThis study assessed the provision of education and support to parents of children on home enteral nutrition (HEN), current dietetic support available and perceived challenges facing parents and carers. From the 39 responses (13%), 29 (83%, n = 35) parents suggested services for HEN need improvement. 29 (74%, n = 39) parents wanted more structured follow up and 22 (56%) would like one person to co-ordinate HEN, education and discharge. 7 parents (18%) reported a need for further education of health care professionals (HCP). Hospital dietitians were the most common HCPs reported to provide support to patients following discharge. Specialist paediatric HEN dietetic services working in a dedicated HEN team, who would provide accurate training and education and liaise with both parents and community care services post discharge should be in place. This would facilitate transfer to community care, reduce hospital re-admissions, outpatient department attendances and costs.
- Evaluation of patient quality of life and satisfaction with home enteral feeding and oral nutrition support services: a cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Faruquie SS, Parker EK, Talbot P
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Factors predicting distress among parents/caregivers of children with neurological disease and home enteral nutrition.
- Authors: Pedrón-Giner C, Calderón C, Martínez-Costa C, Borraz Gracia S, Gómez-López L
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Home enteral feeding audit 1 year post-initiation.
- Authors: Evans S, Holden C, MacDonald A
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Optimizing Transition to Home Enteral Nutrition for Pediatric Patients.
- Authors: Sevilla WMA, McElhanon B
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Home enteral tube feeding in children following percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy: perceptions of parents, paediatric dietitians and paediatric nurses.
- Authors: Brotherton A, Abbott J, Hurley M, Aggett PJ
- Issue date: 2007 Oct