AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Trinity College Dublin, The Adelaide and Meath Hospital incorporating the National Children's Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Ireland.
MeSHAdenoma, Islet Cell
Antineoplastic Combined Chemotherapy Protocols
Carcinoma, Islet Cell
Quality of Life
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNeuroendocrine tumors of the pancreas. 2009, 11 (2):119-27 Curr Gastroenterol Rep
PublisherCurrent gastroenterology reports
JournalCurrent gastroenterology reports
AbstractPancreatic endocrine tumors are rare neoplasms accounting for less than 5% of pancreatic malignancies. They are broadly classified into either functioning tumors (insulinomas, gastrinomas, glucagonomas, VIPomas, and somatostatinomas) or nonfunctioning tumors. The diagnosis of these tumors is difficult and requires a careful history and examination combined with laboratory tests and radiologic imaging. Signs and symptoms are usually related to hormone hypersecretion in the case of functioning tumors and to tumor size or metastases with nonfunctioning tumors. Surgical resection remains the treatment of choice even in the face of metastatic disease. Further development of novel diagnostic and treatment modalities offers potential to greatly improve quality of life and prolong disease-free survival for patients with pancreatic endocrine tumors.
- Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours.
- Authors: O'Grady HL, Conlon KC
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Primary endocrine-secreting pancreatic tumors.
- Authors: Macaron C
- Issue date: 1980 Apr
- Pancreatic polypeptide in insulinomas, gastrinomas, vipomas, and glucagonomas.
- Authors: Polak JM, Bloom SR, Adrian TE, Heitz P, Bryant MG, Pearse AG
- Issue date: 1976 Feb 14
- Glucagon-secreting pancreatic islet cell carcinoma, containing insulin and somatostatin, with hypoglycemic attack.
- Authors: Yano T, Yamamoto N, Fujimori K, Inamori S, Hayashi H, Mizumoto R
- Issue date: 1982 Jun
- Pancreatic lesions and hormonal profile of pancreatic tumors in multiple endocrine neoplasia type I. An immunocytochemical study of nine patients.
- Authors: Klöppel G, Willemer S, Stamm B, Häcki WH, Heitz PU
- Issue date: 1986 May 1