AffiliationDepartment of Paediatrics, Trinity Centre for Health Sciences, AMNCH, Tallaght, Dublin 24. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSocial networking patterns/hazards among teenagers. 2012, 105 (5):151-2 Ir Med J
PublisherIrish Medical Journal
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractSocial Networking Sites (SNSs) have grown substantially, posing new hazards to teenagers. This study aimed to determine general patterns of Internet usage among Irish teenagers aged 11-16 years, and to identify potential hazards, including; bullying, inappropriate contact, overuse, addiction and invasion of users' privacy. A cross-sectional study design was employed to survey students at three Irish secondary schools, with a sample of 474 completing a questionnaire. 202 (44%) (n = 460) accessed the Internet using a shared home computer. Two hours or less were spent online daily by 285(62%), of whom 450 (98%) were unsupervised. 306 (72%) (n = 425) reported frequent usage of SNSs, 403 (95%) of whom were Facebook users. 42 (10%) males and 51 (12%) females experienced bullying online, while 114 (27%) reported inappropriate contact from others. Concerning overuse and the risk of addiction, 140 (33%) felt they accessed SNSs too often. These patterns among Irish teenagers suggest that SNS usage poses significant dangers, which are going largely unaddressed.
- Online social networking and the experience of cyber-bullying.
- Authors: O'Dea B, Campbell A
- Issue date: 2012
- Internet addiction and interpersonal problems in korean adolescents.
- Authors: Seo M, Kang HS, Yom YH
- Issue date: 2009 Jul-Aug
- Potential benefits and harms of a peer support social network service on the internet for people with depressive tendencies: qualitative content analysis and social network analysis.
- Authors: Takahashi Y, Uchida C, Miyaki K, Sakai M, Shimbo T, Nakayama T
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 23
- Problematic use of social networking sites among urban school going teenagers.
- Authors: Meena PS, Mittal PK, Solanki RK
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Prevalence and predictors of internet bullying.
- Authors: Williams KR, Guerra NG
- Issue date: 2007 Dec