The association between change in body mass index and upper aerodigestive tract cancers in the ARCAGE project: multicenter case-control study.
AuthorsPark, Sungshim Lani
Lee, Yuan-Chin Amy
Conway, David I
Healy, Claire M
Lowry, Raymond J
Macfarlane, Tatiana V
Macfarlane, Gary J
McCartan, Bernard E
McKinney, Patricia A
AffiliationDepartment of Epidemiology, UCLA School of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
Body Mass Index
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe association between change in body mass index and upper aerodigestive tract cancers in the ARCAGE project: multicenter case-control study. 2011, 128 (6):1449-61 Int. J. Cancer
JournalInternational journal of cancer. Journal international du cancer
AbstractPrevious studies reported an inverse relationship between body mass index (BMI) and upper aerodigestive tract (UADT) cancers. Examining change in BMI over time may clarify these previous observations. We used data from 2,048 cases and 2,173 hospital- and population-based controls from ten European countries (alcohol-related cancers and genetic susceptibility in Europe study) to investigate the relationship with BMI and adult change in BMI on UADT cancer risk. Odds ratios (ORs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs) were estimated for associations between BMI at three time intervals and BMI change on UADT cancer development, adjusting for center, age, sex, education, fruit and vegetable intake, smoking and alcohol consumption. We found an inverse relationship between UADT cancers and BMI at time of interview and 2 years before interview. No association was found with BMI at 30 years of age. Regarding BMI change between age 30 and 2 years before interview, BMI decrease (BMI change <-5%) vs. BMI stability (-5% ≤ BMI change <5%) showed no overall association with UADT cancers (OR = 1.15; 95% CI = 0.89, 1.49). An increase in BMI (BMI change ≥+5%) was inversely associated with UADT cancers (OR = 0.74; 95% CI = 0.62, 0.89). BMI gain remained inversely associated across all subsites except for esophageal cancer. When stratified by smoking or by drinking, association with BMI gain was detected only in drinkers and smokers. In conclusion, BMI gain is inversely associated with UADT cancers. These findings may be influenced by smoking and/or drinking behaviors and/or the development of preclinical UADT cancers and should be corroborated in studies of a prospective nature.
- Active and involuntary tobacco smoking and upper aerodigestive tract cancer risks in a multicenter case-control study.
- Authors: Lee YC, Marron M, Benhamou S, Bouchardy C, Ahrens W, Pohlabeln H, Lagiou P, Trichopoulos D, Agudo A, Castellsague X, Bencko V, Holcatova I, Kjaerheim K, Merletti F, Richiardi L, Macfarlane GJ, Macfarlane TV, Talamini R, Barzan L, Canova C, Simonato L, Conway DI, McKinney PA, Lowry RJ, Sneddon L, Znaor A, Healy CM, McCartan BE, Brennan P, Hashibe M
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Dietary risk factors for squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract in central and eastern Europe.
- Authors: Sapkota A, Hsu CC, Zaridze D, Shangina O, Szeszenia-Dabrowska N, Mates D, Fabiánová E, Rudnai P, Janout V, Holcatova I, Brennan P, Boffetta P, Hashibe M
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- The aetiology of upper aerodigestive tract cancers among young adults in Europe: the ARCAGE study.
- Authors: Macfarlane TV, Macfarlane GJ, Oliver RJ, Benhamou S, Bouchardy C, Ahrens W, Pohlabeln H, Lagiou P, Lagiou A, Castellsague X, Agudo A, Merletti F, Richiardi L, Kjaerheim K, Slamova A, Schejbalova M, Canova C, Simonato L, Talamini R, Barzan L, Conway DI, McKinney PA, Znaor A, Lowry RJ, Thomson P, Healy CM, McCartan BE, Marron M, Hashibe M, Brennan P
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Body mass index change in adulthood and lung and upper aerodigestive tract cancers.
- Authors: Tarleton HP, Park SL, Zhu WM, Lee YC, Hashibe M, Morgenstern H, Tashkin DP, Mao JT, Cozen W, Mack TM, Zhang ZF
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 15
- Genetic associations of 115 polymorphisms with cancers of the upper aerodigestive tract across 10 European countries: the ARCAGE project.
- Authors: Canova C, Hashibe M, Simonato L, Nelis M, Metspalu A, Lagiou P, Trichopoulos D, Ahrens W, Pigeot I, Merletti F, Richiardi L, Talamini R, Barzan L, Macfarlane GJ, Macfarlane TV, Holcátová I, Bencko V, Benhamou S, Bouchardy C, Kjaerheim K, Lowry R, Agudo A, Castellsagué X, Conway DI, McKinney PA, Znaor A, McCartan BE, Healy CM, Marron M, Brennan P
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 1