AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland.
Image Interpretation, Computer-Assisted
Magnetic Resonance Imaging/methods
Tomography, X-Ray Computed/methods
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRadiol Clin North Am. 2008 Jan;46(1):113-32, vii.
JournalRadiologic clinics of North America
AbstractHematuria may have a number of causes, of which the more common are urinary tract calculi, urinary tract infection, urinary tract neoplasms (including renal cell carcinoma and urothelial tumors), trauma to the urinary tract, and renal parenchymal disease. This article discusses the current status of imaging of patients suspected of having urologic causes of hematuria. The role of all modalities, including plain radiography, intravenous urography or excretory urography, retrograde pyelography, ultrasonography, and multidetector computed tomography (MDCT) in evaluation of these patients is discussed. The article highlights the current status of MDCT urography in imaging of patients with hematuria, and discusses various-often controversial-issues, such as optimal protocol design, accuracy of the technique in imaging of the urothelium, and the significant issue of radiation dose associated with MDCT urography.
- Imaging of hematuria.
- Authors: O'Connor OJ, Fitzgerald E, Maher MM
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- What is the current role of CT urography and MR urography in the evaluation of the urinary tract?
- Authors: Silverman SG, Leyendecker JR, Amis ES Jr
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- Multi-detector row CT urography in the evaluation of hematuria.
- Authors: Joffe SA, Servaes S, Okon S, Horowitz M
- Issue date: 2003 Nov-Dec
- Split-bolus MDCT urography: Upper tract opacification and performance for upper tract tumors in patients with hematuria.
- Authors: Maheshwari E, O'Malley ME, Ghai S, Staunton M, Massey C
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Multidetector computerized tomography urography is more accurate than excretory urography for diagnosing transitional cell carcinoma of the upper urinary tract in adults with hematuria.
- Authors: Wang LJ, Wong YC, Huang CC, Wu CH, Hung SC, Chen HW
- Issue date: 2010 Jan