AffiliationDepartment of Neuroscience, Cork University Hospital, Cork. firstname.lastname@example.org
MeSHClinical Competence/statistics & numerical data
Community Health Services
Referral and Consultation
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2006 Feb;99(2):52-4.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractWe posted a questionnaire on epilepsy to all 375 GPs in Cork and Kerry (population 500,000) The questionnaire consisted of 10 sections, covering areas like GP demographics, initial referral practice following a first seizure, advice given to patients and GP's attitudes towards patients with epilepsy. The main focus of the study was GP awareness of 7 of the newer anti-epileptics and their side effects. There was a response rate of 46.7% (175) and revealed that the majority (87%) initially refer patients to a neurologist for further assessment. The majority of GPs gave patients advice about driving, AED side effects, interaction with the OCP and pregnancy counselling. GP awareness of the newer anti-epileptics is very variable with Gabapentin and Lamotrigine having the highest GP awareness rates. Almost 25% of GPs would initiate treatment following a first time seizure although only 30% would change therapy initiated by a consultant neurologist. Finally the majority of GPs were unhappy with the level of access to neurologists and 95% of GPs felt that the provision of an Epilepsy Clinical Nurse Specialist would help alleviate the problem.
- The general practice management of epilepsy in Perth, Western Australia.
- Authors: Thom GA, Lee HS, Dhillon R, Dunne JW, Plant AJ
- Issue date: 2002 Jan
- Variation in practice: a questionnaire survey of how congruence in attitudes between doctors and patients influences referral decisions.
- Authors: Carlsen B, Aakvik A, Norheim OF
- Issue date: 2008 Mar-Apr
- "When patients have cancer, they stop seeing me"--the role of the general practitioner in early follow-up of patients with cancer--a qualitative study.
- Authors: Anvik T, Holtedahl KA, Mikalsen H
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 21
- [Family practitioner's and specialist's role in the care of the patient with epilepsy].
- Authors: Stokx LJ, Kersten TJ
- Issue date: 1990 Oct 6
- Differences in attitudes, beliefs and knowledge of hospital health care workers and community doctors to vaccination of older people.
- Authors: Ridda I, Lindley IR, Gao Z, McIntyre P, Macintyre CR
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 16