The Health Professions Admission Test (HPAT) score and leaving certificate results can independently predict academic performance in medical school: do we need both tests?
AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, AMNCH, Tallaght, Dublin 24.
School Admission Criteria
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe Health Professions Admission Test (HPAT) score and leaving certificate results can independently predict academic performance in medical school: do we need both tests?, 103 (10):300-2 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractA recent study raised concerns regarding the ability of the health professions admission test (HPAT) Ireland to improve the selection process in Irish medical schools. We aimed to establish whether performance in a mock HPAT correlated with academic success in medicine. A modified HPAT examination and a questionnaire were administered to a group of doctors and medical students. There was a significant correlation between HPAT score and college results (r2: 0.314, P = 0.018, Spearman Rank) and between leaving cert score and college results (r2: 0.306, P = 0.049, Spearman Rank). There was no correlation between leaving cert points score and HPAT score. There was no difference in HPAT score across a number of other variables including gender, age and medical speciality. Our results suggest that both the HPAT Ireland and the leaving certificate examination could act as independent predictors of academic achievement in medicine.
- To what extent does the Health Professions Admission Test-Ireland predict performance in early undergraduate tests of communication and clinical skills? An observational cohort study.
- Authors: Kelly ME, Regan D, Dunne F, Henn P, Newell J, O'Flynn S
- Issue date: 2013 May 10
- A comparison of performances of consultant surgeons, NCHDs and medical students in a modified HPAT examination.
- Authors: Quinn A, Corrigan MA, Broderick J, McEntee G, Hill AD
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Modelling the impact of old and new mechanisms of entry and selection to medical school in Ireland: who gets in?
- Authors: O'Flynn S, Fitzgerald T, Mills A
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Comparison of UMAT scores and GPA in prediction of performance in medical school: a national study.
- Authors: Poole P, Shulruf B, Rudland J, Wilkinson T
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- Dental school admissions in Ireland: can current selection criteria predict success?
- Authors: Lynch CD, McConnell RJ, Hannigan A
- Issue date: 2006 May