AffiliationDepartment of Medicine, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin 9.
Analysis of Variance
Education, Medical, Graduate
Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
Internship and Residency
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPrepared for internship? 2009, 102 (3):82-4 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractPreparedness of medical school graduates for the intern year is one of the emphasised objectives of undergraduate medical training. We have evaluated the perceived preparedness of graduates undertaking the intern year in the Republic of Ireland. A 9-page questionnaire was mailed to all 497 interns in Ireland following commencement of the intern year in July 2005. Data obtained included demographics, perceived preparedness and assessment of perceived clinical skills (four sub-domains: core competencies, communication, emergencies, and educational environment). Information on intern induction was also collected. 99 questionnaires were returned (19.9%). Most of the cohort were Irish and worked in large medical school teaching hospitals. The majority of interns felt 'unprepared' for the intern year. Interns perceived themselves 'poor' in all areas of clinical skills assessed. Intern induction was attended by the majority and most stated it was too short. Medical schools are actively seeking innovative methods, through early patient contact and sub-internships, to better prepare undergraduates for the intern year. The deficiencies identified in this study are significant and emphasise the need for continued reform in the undergraduate curriculum.
- A 1-week simulated internship course helps prepare medical students for transition to residency.
- Authors: Laack TA, Newman JS, Goyal DG, Torsher LC
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- They just don't get enough! Variable intern experience in bedside procedural skills.
- Authors: Boots RJ, Egerton W, McKeering H, Winter H
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Review of intern preparedness and education experiences in General Medicine.
- Authors: Gome JJ, Paltridge D, Inder WJ
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Do medical courses adequately prepare interns for safe and effective prescribing in New South Wales public hospitals?
- Authors: Hilmer SN, Seale JP, Le Couteur DG, Crampton R, Liddle C
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Perceptions of recent ophthalmology residency graduates regarding preparation for practice.
- Authors: McDonnell PJ, Kirwan TJ, Brinton GS, Golnik KC, Melendez RF, Parke DW 2nd, Renucci A, Smith JH, Smith RE
- Issue date: 2007 Feb