AffiliationDepartment of Palliative Care Medicine, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin 9. email@example.com
Medication Systems, Hospital
Physician's Practice Patterns
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTowards safer use of opioids. 2009, 102 (8):257-9 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe main aim of our work was to improve the safety of opioid use in our institution, an acute generalhospital with 620 beds. Initially, all reported opioid errors from 2001 - 2006 were audited. The findings directed a range of multidisciplinary staff educational inputs to improve opioid prescribing and administration practice, and encourage drug error reporting. 448 drug errors were reported, of which 54 (12%) involved opioids; of these, 43 (79%) involved codeine, morphine or oxycodone. 31 of the errors (57%) were associated with administration, followed by 12 (22%) with dispensing and 11 (20%) with prescribing. There were 2 reports of definite patient harm. A subsequent audit examined a 17-month period following the introduction of the above teaching: 17 errors were noted, of which 14 (83%) involved codeine, morphine or oxycodone. Again, drug administration was most error-prone, comprising 11 (65%) of reports. However, just 2 (12%) of the reported errors now involved prescribing, which was a reduction.
- Prescribing of pain medication in palliative care. A survey in general practice.
- Authors: Borgsteede SD, Deliens L, Zuurmond WW, Schellevis FG, Willems DL, Van der Wal G, van Eijk JT
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Opioids and the management of chronic severe pain in the elderly: consensus statement of an International Expert Panel with focus on the six clinically most often used World Health Organization Step III opioids (buprenorphine, fentanyl, hydromorphone, methadone, morphine, oxycodone).
- Authors: Pergolizzi J, Böger RH, Budd K, Dahan A, Erdine S, Hans G, Kress HG, Langford R, Likar R, Raffa RB, Sacerdote P
- Issue date: 2008 Jul-Aug
- Assessment of medication errors that involved drug allergies at a university hospital.
- Authors: Jones TA, Como JA
- Issue date: 2003 Jul
- Reducing patient harm with the use of fentanyl transdermal system.
- Authors: Grissinger M, Gaunt MJ
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- A national survey of American Pediatric Anesthesiologists: patient-controlled analgesia and other intravenous opioid therapies in pediatric acute pain management.
- Authors: Nelson KL, Yaster M, Kost-Byerly S, Monitto CL
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 1