A comparison of performances of consultant surgeons, NCHDs and medical students in a modified HPAT examination.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, RCSI, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationA comparison of performances of consultant surgeons, NCHDs and medical students in a modified HPAT examination. 2010, 103 (6):172-3 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractFollowing the implementation of the Fottrell report, entry to medical school in Ireland has undergone significant change. Medical school studentship is now awarded based on a combination of points obtained from the final examination of Irish secondary schools (the leaving certificate) combined with HPAT scores (Health Professions Admissions Test). The HPAT is designed to test a candidate's knowledge in several different fields including problem solving skills, logical and non verbal reasoning. A sample HPAT was administered to a test group composed of consultant surgeons, non consultant hospital doctors, and medical students. Statistical analysis was performed and no significant difference was found between the performances of the groups. This is surprising as it was expected that groups with greater experience at medical problem solving would have translated to higher scores. This exposes a flaw within the HPAT system and a potential weakness in the process of doctor selection.
- The Health Professions Admission Test (HPAT) score and leaving certificate results can independently predict academic performance in medical school: do we need both tests?
- Authors: Halpenny D, Cadoo K, Halpenny M, Burke J, Torreggiani WC
- Issue date: 2010 Nov-Dec
- RE: A comparison of performances of consultant surgeons, NCHDs and medical students in a modified HPAT examination.
- Authors: Henry M
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- To what extent does the Health Professions Admission Test-Ireland predict performance in early undergraduate tests of communication and clinical skills? An observational cohort study.
- Authors: Kelly ME, Regan D, Dunne F, Henn P, Newell J, O'Flynn S
- Issue date: 2013 May 10
- Medical school selection criteria as predictors of medical student empathy: a cross-sectional study of medical students, Ireland.
- Authors: O'Sullivan DM, Moran J, Corcoran P, O'Flynn S, O'Tuathaigh C, O'Sullivan AM
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 1
- Modelling the impact of old and new mechanisms of entry and selection to medical school in Ireland: who gets in?
- Authors: O'Flynn S, Fitzgerald T, Mills A
- Issue date: 2013 Sep