AffiliationDepartment of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Mid Western Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle, Limerick. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMaxillofacial and dental injuries sustained in hurling. 2010, 103 (6):174-6 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe incidence of facial injuries in hurling has decreased since the introduction of helmets with facial protection. The aim of this study was to identify the incidence of facial and dental injuries sustained in hurling training or matches and compliance with wearing helmets, with or without modified or unmodified faceguards. This prospective study included all patients who attended the Mid Western Regional Hospital Limerick, with injuries sustained while playing hurling during 2007 and 2008 seasons. The study population included 70 patients. Forty two (60%) injuries occurred during practice and 28(40%) during matches. Fifty two players (75%) sustained facial injuries whilst no helmet was worn. Eighteen injuries (25%) were sustained by players wearing helmets. Th study demonstrates that 60% of injuries occur during training when players do not wear helmets. We support the recent introduction by the GAA making it compulsory to wear helmets with faceguard protection from January 1st 2010.
- Dramatic impact of using protective equipment on the level of hurling-related head injuries: an ultimately successful 27-year programme.
- Authors: Crowley PJ, Crowley MJ
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- The impact of new regulations on the incidence and severity of ocular injury sustained in hurling.
- Authors: Khan MI, Flynn T, O'Connell E, Stack J, Beatty S
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Facial fractures in Gaelic football and hurling.
- Authors: Carroll SM, Condon KC, O'Connor TP
- Issue date: 1995 Sep-Oct
- Bicycle riding and oral/maxillofacial trauma in young children.
- Authors: Acton CH, Nixon JW, Clark RC
- Issue date: 1996 Sep 2
- Do helmets worn for hurling fail to protect the ear? Identification of an emerging injury pattern.
- Authors: Martin-Smith JD, Chan JC, Power KT, Crowley PJ, Clover AJ
- Issue date: 2012 Dec