Strategic environmental noise mapping: methodological issues concerning the implementation of the EU Environmental Noise Directive and their policy implications.
AffiliationSchool of Geography, Planning and Environmental Policy, University College Dublin, Richview, Clonskeagh, University College Dublin, Dublin 14, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationStrategic environmental noise mapping: methodological issues concerning the implementation of the EU Environmental Noise Directive and their policy implications. 2010, 36 (3):290-8 Environ Int
AbstractThis paper explores methodological issues and policy implications concerning the implementation of the EU Environmental Noise Directive (END) across Member States. Methodologically, the paper focuses on two key thematic issues relevant to the Directive: (1) calculation methods and (2) mapping methods. For (1), the paper focuses, in particular, on how differing calculation methods influence noise prediction results as well as the value of the EU noise indicator L(den) and its associated implications for comparability of noise data across EU states. With regard to (2), emphasis is placed on identifying the issues affecting strategic noise mapping, estimating population exposure, noise action planning and dissemination of noise mapping results to the general public. The implication of these issues for future environmental noise policy is also examined.
- Airport environmental noise mapping and land use management as an environmental protection action policy tool. The case of the Larnaka International Airport (Cyprus).
- Authors: Vogiatzis K
- Issue date: 2012 May 1
- Advances in the development of common noise assessment methods in Europe: The CNOSSOS-EU framework for strategic environmental noise mapping.
- Authors: Kephalopoulos S, Paviotti M, Anfosso-Lédée F, Van Maercke D, Shilton S, Jones N
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 1
- Implementation of the EU environmental noise directive: lessons from the first phase of strategic noise mapping and action planning in Ireland.
- Authors: King EA, Murphy E, Rice HJ
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Health impact assessment: assessing opportunities and barriers to intersectoral health improvement in an expanded European Union.
- Authors: Lock K, McKee M
- Issue date: 2005 May
- Children's environmental health and the precautionary principle.
- Authors: Jarosinska D, Gee D
- Issue date: 2007 Oct