O'Connor, Mortimer B
AffiliationDept. of GU/STD Medicine, Mid-Western Regional Hospital, Limerick, Ireland. Catherine.OConnor@mailh.hse.ie
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAn audit of Colposcopy referrals from a GU/STD clinic. 2008, 1:24 BMC Res Notes
JournalBMC research notes
AbstractBACKGROUND: Cervical cancer is increasing at 1.5% per year in Ireland with 50% mortality giving 2.2% of all cancer deaths. In the Mid-West region a pilot screening programme has begun to screen all women 25-60 years. 66% of Genitourinary/Sexually transmitted disease (GU/STD) clinics' abnormal smears are <25 years. Requests to abandon "opportunistic" screening prompted this GU/STD clinic audit. METHODS: 221(8.4%) patients referred to colposcopy over 4 years were audited. Retrospective analysis was carried out on GU/STD clinic files, hospital files and computer records for biopsy reports. Ethical approval was prospectively granted. RESULTS: 2637 smears were carried out from November 1999 - September 2003.221 patients referred to colposcopy were audited.1%, 3%, 5% had severe, moderate and, mild dyskaryosis, respectively, on cervical screening while 0.8%, 1.2%, 1.5% had CIN3, CIN2, CIN1 abnormalities, respectively, on biopsy with 3.5% having no abnormality (Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia = CIN).53% referred to colposcopy were <25 years. CONCLUSION: 2% had high grade lesions. 37% of high grade lesions are <25 years.Of the high grade lesions 13% had Chlamydia trachomatis (27% of CIN3) and 44% had HPV despite Relative Risks (RR) being 0.75 and 1.09 respectively. Older women had higher grade changes. No statistical difference was found for progression, regression and persistence in those over and under 25.
- The borderline cervical smear: colposcopic and biopsy outcome.
- Authors: al-Nafussi A, Rebello G, al-Yusif R, McGoogan E
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Immediate referral to colposcopy versus cytological surveillance for minor cervical cytological abnormalities in the absence of HPV test.
- Authors: Kyrgiou M, Kalliala IE, Mitra A, Fotopoulou C, Ghaem-Maghami S, Martin-Hirsch PP, Cruickshank M, Arbyn M, Paraskevaidis E
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 26
- Prophylactic vaccination against human papillomaviruses to prevent cervical cancer and its precursors.
- Authors: Arbyn M, Xu L, Simoens C, Martin-Hirsch PP
- Issue date: 2018 May 9
- Management of women with low grade cytology: how reassuring is a normal colposcopy examination?
- Authors: Cruickshank ME, Cotton SC, Sharp L, Smart L, Walker LG, Little J, TOMBOLA Group.
- Issue date: 2015 Feb