Comparison of acetabular reamings during hip resurfacing versus uncemented total hip arthroplasty.
AffiliationDepartment of Orthopaedics, Cappagh Hospital, Finglas, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Arthroplasty, Replacement, Hip
MetadataShow full item record
CitationComparison of acetabular reamings during hip resurfacing versus uncemented total hip arthroplasty. 2009, 17 (1):42-6 J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong)
JournalJournal of orthopaedic surgery (Hong Kong)
AbstractPURPOSE: To compare the quantity of bone removed from the acetabulum during resurfacing hip arthroplasty versus uncemented total hip arthroplasty (THA). METHODS: 62 consecutive patients with osteoarthritis of the hip were prospectively studied. 24 men and 7 women aged 40 to 86 (mean, 59) years underwent Birmingham hip resurfacing. 13 men and 18 women aged 34 to 88 (mean, 61) years underwent uncemented THA using the trident acetabular cup. Obese elderly women at risk of femoral neck fracture and patients with large subchondral pseudocysts or a history of avascular necrosis of the femoral head were assigned to uncemented THA. Acetabular reamings were collected; marginal osteophytes were not included. The reamings were dehydrated, defatted, and weighed. RESULTS: The mean weight of acetabular reamings was not significantly different between patients undergoing hip resurfacing and uncemented THA (p=0.57). CONCLUSION: In hip resurfacing, the use of an appropriately small femoral component avoids oversizing the acetabular component and removal of excessive bone stock.
- Comparison of acetabular reamings during hip resurfacing versus uncemented total hip arthoplasty.
- Authors: Al-Nammari SS, Malik SS, Joshi VS, Mali SS
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Removal of acetabular bone in resurfacing arthroplasty of the hip: a comparison with hybrid total hip arthroplasty.
- Authors: Loughead JM, Starks I, Chesney D, Matthews JN, McCaskie AW, Holland JP
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- A randomised study comparing resection of acetabular bone at resurfacing and total hip replacement.
- Authors: Vendittoli PA, Lavigne M, Girard J, Roy AG
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- Surface replacement of the hip can result in decreased acetabular bone stock.
- Authors: Tanzer M, Tanzer D, Smith K
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- [Total hip arthroplasty with uncemented cup and femoral head autografts for coxarthrosis due to dysplasia].
- Authors: Wu LD, Xiong Y, Yan SG, Yang QS, He RX, Wang QH
- Issue date: 2004 Aug 22