Mumps epidemiology in the mid-west of Ireland 2004-2008: increasing disease burden in the university/college setting.
O'Connell, N H
AffiliationDepartment of Public Health, Health Service Executive (West), Limerick, Ireland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMumps epidemiology in the mid-west of Ireland 2004-2008: increasing disease burden in the university/college setting. 2009, 14 (16) Euro Surveill.
JournalEuro surveillance : bulletin européen sur les maladies transmissibles = European communicable disease bulletin
AbstractMumps is a contagious vaccine-preventable viral disease that is experiencing a revival in students attending second and third level colleges. Large mumps outbreaks have been reported in several countries despite the presence of childhood immunisation programmes over many years, including measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccination. In 2008, 1,377 cases of mumps were notified in Ireland and 1,734 in the first three months of 2009 (provisional data). This paper reviews the recent epidemiology of mumps in the Mid-West region of Ireland and highlights preventive measures. A substantial proportion of cases were not laboratory-confirmed and it is important that doctors continue to notify suspected cases. In the Irish Mid-West, data from enhanced surveillance shows a high proportion of mumps in the age group 15-24 years. Complications were uncommon and rarely severe. Where data were available, over half of the cases did not recall having received two doses of MMR, but most recalled one dose. Parents should continue to ensure children receive both MMR vaccinations so that uptake is optimal for protection. Steps were taken to increase awareness of the disease in the school, college and university settings. Preventive measures implemented to limit mumps transmission in the school/college setting over recent years included vaccination of close contacts, isolation for five days and hand hygiene.
- MMR vaccination, measles epidemiology and sero-surveillance in the Republic of Ireland.
- Authors: Johnson H, Hillary IB, McQuoid G, Gilmer BA
- Issue date: 1995 Apr
- Mumps vaccine performance among university students during a mumps outbreak.
- Authors: Cortese MM, Jordan HT, Curns AT, Quinlan PA, Ens KA, Denning PM, Dayan GH
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 15
- Perceptions of mumps and MMR vaccination among university students in England: an online survey.
- Authors: Bolton-Maggs D, Conrad D, Keenan A, Lamden K, Ghebrehewet S, Vivancos R
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 20
- Vaccine-preventable diseases on college campuses: the emergence of mumps.
- Authors: Williams WW, Sosin DM, Kaplan KM, Hersh BS, Preblud SR
- Issue date: 1989 Mar
- Two successive outbreaks of mumps in Nova Scotia among vaccinated adolescents and young adults.
- Authors: Watson-Creed G, Saunders A, Scott J, Lowe L, Pettipas J, Hatchette TF
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 29