Expression of multidrug resistance markers ABCB1 (MDR-1/P-gp) and ABCC1 (MRP-1) in renal cell carcinoma.
AffiliationNational Institute for Cellular Biotechnology, Dublin City University, Glasnevin, Dublin 9, Ireland. email@example.com
Aged, 80 and over
Carcinoma, Renal Cell
Gene Expression Regulation, Neoplastic
Multidrug Resistance-Associated Proteins
Tumor Cells, Cultured
Tumor Markers, Biological
MetadataShow full item record
CitationExpression of multidrug resistance markers ABCB1 (MDR-1/P-gp) and ABCC1 (MRP-1) in renal cell carcinoma. 2009, 9:6 BMC Urol
AbstractBACKGROUND: Renal cell carcinoma patients respond poorly to conventional chemotherapy, this unresponsiveness may be attributable to multidrug resistance (MDR). The mechanisms of MDR in renal cancer are not fully understood and the specific contribution of ABC transporter proteins which have been implicated in the chemoresistance of various cancers has not been fully defined in this disease. METHODS: In this retrospective study the expression of two of these transporter efflux pumps, namely MDR-1 P-gp (ABCB1) and MRP-1 (ABCC1) were studied by immunohistochemistry in archival material from 95 renal cell carcinoma patients. RESULTS: In the first study investigating MDR-1 P-gp and MRP-1 protein expression patterns in renal cell carcinoma patients, high levels of expression of both efflux pumps are observed with 100% of tumours studied showing MDR-1 P-gp and MRP-1 positivity. CONCLUSION: Although these findings do not prove a causal role, the high frequency of tumours expressing these efflux pumps suggests that they may be important contributors to the chemoresistance of this tumour type.
- Prognostic significance of multidrug-resistance protein (MDR-1) in renal clear cell carcinomas: a five year follow-up analysis.
- Authors: Mignogna C, Staibano S, Altieri V, De Rosa G, Pannone G, Santoro A, Zamparese R, D'Armiento M, Rocchetti R, Mezza E, Nasti M, Strazzullo V, Montanaro V, Mascolo M, Bufo P
- Issue date: 2006 Dec 19
- The expression of mdr-1-related gp-170 and its correlation with anthracycline resistance in renal cell carcinoma cell lines and multidrug-resistant sublines.
- Authors: Yu DS, Chang SY, Ma CP
- Issue date: 1998 Oct
- Effects of plant sterols on human multidrug transporters ABCB1 and ABCC1.
- Authors: Nabekura T, Yamaki T, Ueno K, Kitagawa S
- Issue date: 2008 May 2
- Effect of Stemona curtisii root extract on P-glycoprotein and MRP-1 function in multidrug-resistant cancer cells.
- Authors: Limtrakul P, Siwanon S, Yodkeeree S, Duangrat C
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Ultrasound reverses multidrug resistance in human cancer cells by altering gene expression of ABC transporter proteins and Bax protein.
- Authors: Wu F, Shao ZY, Zhai BJ, Zhao CL, Shen DM
- Issue date: 2011 Jan