Increased sister chromatid cohesion and DNA damage response factor localization at an enzyme-induced DNA double-strand break in vertebrate cells.
AffiliationCentre for Chromosome Biology, School of Natural Sciences, National University of Ireland Galway, University road, Galway, Ireland.
Cell Cycle Proteins
DNA Breaks, Double-Stranded
Deoxyribonucleases, Type II Site-Specific
Saccharomyces cerevisiae Proteins
Tumor Suppressor Proteins
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIncreased sister chromatid cohesion and DNA damage response factor localization at an enzyme-induced DNA double-strand break in vertebrate cells. 2009, 37 (18):6054-63 Nucleic Acids Res.
JournalNucleic acids research
AbstractThe response to DNA damage in vertebrate cells involves successive recruitment of DNA signalling and repair factors. We used light microscopy to monitor the genetic dependencies of such localization to a single, induced DNA double strand break (DSB) in vertebrate cells. We used an inducible version of the rare-cutting I-SceI endonuclease to cut a chromosomally integrated I-SceI site beside a Tet operator array that was visualized by binding a Tet repressor-GFP fusion. Formation of gamma-H2AX foci at a single DSB was independent of ATM or Ku70. ATM-deficient cells showed normal kinetics of 53Bp1 recruitment to DSBs, but Rad51 localization was retarded. 53Bp1 and Rad51 foci formation at a single DSB was greatly reduced in H2AX-null DT40 cells. We also observed decreased inter-sister chromatid distances after DSB induction, suggesting that cohesin loading at DSBs causes elevated sister chromatid cohesion. Loss of ATM reduced DSB-induced cohesion, consistent with cohesin being an ATM target in the DSB response. These data show that the same genetic pathways control how cells respond to single DSBs and to multiple lesions induced by whole-cell DNA damage.
- Ku70/80 modulates ATM and ATR signaling pathways in response to DNA double strand breaks.
- Authors: Tomimatsu N, Tahimic CG, Otsuki A, Burma S, Fukuhara A, Sato K, Shiota G, Oshimura M, Chen DJ, Kurimasa A
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 6
- Laser-induced radiation microbeam technology and simultaneous real-time fluorescence imaging in live cells.
- Authors: Botchway SW, Reynolds P, Parker AW, O'Neill P
- Issue date: 2012
- The influence of heterochromatin on DNA double strand break repair: Getting the strong, silent type to relax.
- Authors: Goodarzi AA, Jeggo P, Lobrich M
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 10
- The controlling role of ATM in homologous recombinational repair of DNA damage.
- Authors: Morrison C, Sonoda E, Takao N, Shinohara A, Yamamoto K, Takeda S
- Issue date: 2000 Feb 1
- Cdk1 uncouples CtIP-dependent resection and Rad51 filament formation during M-phase double-strand break repair.
- Authors: Peterson SE, Li Y, Chait BT, Gottesman ME, Baer R, Gautier J
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 5