Neuropsychiatric complications associated with interferon - alpha -2b treatment of malignant melanoma.
AffiliationAdelaide and Meath Hospital, Tallaght, Ireland. email@example.com
Dose-Response Relationship, Drug
MetadataShow full item record
CitationNeuropsychiatric complications associated with interferon - alpha -2b treatment of malignant melanoma. 2009, 12 (3):227-8 Afr J Psychiatry (Johannesbg)
JournalAfrican journal of psychiatry
AbstractSeveral adverse effects have been associated with interferon alpha 2b treatment and neuropsychiatric effects have also been commonly reported. Psychosis and mood disorders have been described in the literature. This case report is of a 30 year old man with malignant melanoma stage 3a who was receiving adjuvant alpha 2b interferon and developed a manic episode two weeks post switching after one month of treatment on a high dose to a low dose. There was no previous psychiatric illness and no known family history of mental illness. This is in keeping with previous reports that mania has been observed in patients undergoing interferon treatment especially after significant dose-reduction or treatment breaks. Mania induced by interferon responds well to antimanic drugs .Since interferon alpha 2b is now commonly used in the treatment of malignant melanoma and other conditions, the need to be aware of its neuropsychiatric complications is essential.
- Adjuvant therapy of melanoma with interferon-alpha-2b is associated with mania and bipolar syndromes.
- Authors: Greenberg DB, Jonasch E, Gadd MA, Ryan BF, Everett JR, Sober AJ, Mihm MA, Tanabe KK, Ott M, Haluska FG
- Issue date: 2000 Jul 15
- Mania associated with interferon alpha2b treatment.
- Authors: Basanth KK, Jacob R, Jacob KS
- Issue date: 2006 Jul-Sep
- Impaired platelet aggregation in melanoma patients treated with interferon-alpha-2b adjuvant therapy.
- Authors: Gutman H, Schachter J, Stopel E, Gutman R, Lahav J
- Issue date: 2002 Feb 1
- Severe action tremor related to interferon-alpha 2b therapy for malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Nishihori T, Abdo-Matkiwsky M, Fleishman SB, Blum RH
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Quality-of-life evaluation in an interferon therapy after radical surgery in cutaneous melanoma patients.
- Authors: Rataj D, Jankowiak B, Krajewska-Kułak E, Van Damme-Ostapowicz K, Nowecki ZI, Rutkowski P, Niczyporuk W
- Issue date: 2005 May-Jun