Simulation of the contractile response of cells on an array of micro-posts.
AffiliationDepartment of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland.
Finite Element Analysis
Mesenchymal Stem Cells
Myocytes, Smooth Muscle
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSimulation of the contractile response of cells on an array of micro-posts. 2009, 367 (1902):3477-97 Philos Transact A Math Phys Eng Sci
JournalPhilosophical transactions. Series A, Mathematical, physical, and engineering sciences
AbstractA bio-chemo-mechanical model has been used to predict the contractile responses of smooth cells on a bed of micro-posts. Predictions obtained for smooth muscle cells reveal that, by converging onto a single set of parameters, the model captures all of the following responses in a self-consistent manner: (i) the scaling of the force exerted by the cells with the number of posts; (ii) actin distributions within the cells, including the rings of actin around the micro-posts; (iii) the curvature of the cell boundaries between the posts; and (iv) the higher post forces towards the cell periphery. Similar correspondences between predictions and measurements have been demonstrated for fibroblasts and mesenchymal stem cells once the maximum stress exerted by the stress fibre bundles has been recalibrated. Consistent with measurements, the model predicts that the forces exerted by the cells will increase with both increasing post stiffness and cell area (or equivalently, post spacing). In conjunction with previous assessments, these findings suggest that this framework represents an important step towards a complete model for the coupled bio-chemo-mechanical responses of cells.
- Time-dependent changes in smooth muscle cell stiffness and focal adhesion area in response to cyclic equibiaxial stretch.
- Authors: Na S, Trache A, Trzeciakowski J, Sun Z, Meininger GA, Humphrey JD
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Propagation of mechanical stress through the actin cytoskeleton toward focal adhesions: model and experiment.
- Authors: Paul R, Heil P, Spatz JP, Schwarz US
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 15
- Magnetic microposts as an approach to apply forces to living cells.
- Authors: Sniadecki NJ, Anguelouch A, Yang MT, Lamb CM, Liu Z, Kirschner SB, Liu Y, Reich DH, Chen CS
- Issue date: 2007 Sep 11
- Assembly and mechanosensory function of focal adhesions: experiments and models.
- Authors: Bershadsky AD, Ballestrem C, Carramusa L, Zilberman Y, Gilquin B, Khochbin S, Alexandrova AY, Verkhovsky AB, Shemesh T, Kozlov MM
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Tensegrity finite element models of mechanical tests of individual cells.
- Authors: Bursa J, Lebis R, Holata J
- Issue date: 2012