Sustained virologic response following HCV eradication in two brothers with X-linked agammaglobulinaemia.
AffiliationDepartment of Gastroenterology, University College Hospital Galway, Newcastle Road, Galway, Ireland. email@example.com
Genetic Diseases, X-Linked
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSustained virologic response following HCV eradication in two brothers with X-linked agammaglobulinaemia. 2009, 15 (31):3944-6 World J. Gastroenterol.
JournalWorld journal of gastroenterology : WJG
AbstractX-linked agammaglobulinaemia (XLA) is a humoral immunodeficiency syndrome characterized from childhood by the absence of circulating B lymphocytes, absent or reduced levels of serum immunoglobulin and recurrent bacterial infections. For many affected patients, regular treatment with immunoglobulin is life saving. Hepatitis C viral (HCV) infection acquired through contaminated blood products is widely described in this patient cohort. The natural history of HCV infection in patients with XLA tends to follow a more rapid and aggressive course compared to immunocompetent individuals. Furthermore, standard anti-viral therapy appears to be less efficacious in this patient cohort. Here we report the cases of two brothers with XLA who contracted HCV through contaminated blood products. They were treated with a six month course of Interferon alpha-2b and Ribavirin. We report a sustained virologic response five years after completing treatment.
- Sustained response to interferon-alpha or to interferon-alpha plus ribavirin in hepatitis C virus-associated symptomatic mixed cryoglobulinaemia.
- Authors: Calleja JL, Albillos A, Moreno-Otero R, Rossi I, Cacho G, Domper F, Yebra M, Escartín P
- Issue date: 1999 Sep
- Combination of interferon alfa-2b and ribavirin in liver transplant recipients with histological recurrent hepatitis C.
- Authors: Firpi RJ, Abdelmalek MF, Soldevila-Pico C, Reed A, Hemming A, Howard R, Van Der Werf W, Lauwers G, Liu C, Crawford JM, Davis GL, Nelson DR
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Pegylated interferon-alpha-2a plus ribavirin for treatment-naive Asian patients with hepatitis C virus genotype 1 infection: a multicenter, randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Liu CH, Liu CJ, Lin CL, Liang CC, Hsu SJ, Yang SS, Hsu CS, Tseng TC, Wang CC, Lai MY, Chen JH, Chen PJ, Chen DS, Kao JH
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 15
- Interferon-alpha and ribavirin for the treatment of recurrent hepatitis C after liver transplantation.
- Authors: De Vera ME, Smallwood GA, Rosado K, Davis L, Martinez E, Sharma S, Stieber AC, Heffron TG
- Issue date: 2001 Mar 15
- Pegylated interferon alfa-2b vs standard interferon alfa-2b, plus ribavirin, for chronic hepatitis C in HIV-infected patients: a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Carrat F, Bani-Sadr F, Pol S, Rosenthal E, Lunel-Fabiani F, Benzekri A, Morand P, Goujard C, Pialoux G, Piroth L, Salmon-Céron D, Degott C, Cacoub P, Perronne C, ANRS HCO2 RIBAVIC Study Team.
- Issue date: 2004 Dec 15