Sustained virologic response following HCV eradication in two brothers with X-linked agammaglobulinaemia.
AffiliationDepartment of Gastroenterology, University College Hospital Galway, Newcastle Road, Galway, Ireland. email@example.com
Genetic Diseases, X-Linked
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSustained virologic response following HCV eradication in two brothers with X-linked agammaglobulinaemia. 2009, 15 (31):3944-6 World J. Gastroenterol.
JournalWorld journal of gastroenterology : WJG
AbstractX-linked agammaglobulinaemia (XLA) is a humoral immunodeficiency syndrome characterized from childhood by the absence of circulating B lymphocytes, absent or reduced levels of serum immunoglobulin and recurrent bacterial infections. For many affected patients, regular treatment with immunoglobulin is life saving. Hepatitis C viral (HCV) infection acquired through contaminated blood products is widely described in this patient cohort. The natural history of HCV infection in patients with XLA tends to follow a more rapid and aggressive course compared to immunocompetent individuals. Furthermore, standard anti-viral therapy appears to be less efficacious in this patient cohort. Here we report the cases of two brothers with XLA who contracted HCV through contaminated blood products. They were treated with a six month course of Interferon alpha-2b and Ribavirin. We report a sustained virologic response five years after completing treatment.
- Pilot study of pegylated interferon alfa-2b and ribavirin for recurrent hepatitis C after liver transplantation.
- Authors: Mukherjee S, Rogge J, Weaver L, Schafer DF
- Issue date: 2003 Dec
- Sustained response to interferon-alpha or to interferon-alpha plus ribavirin in hepatitis C virus-associated symptomatic mixed cryoglobulinaemia.
- Authors: Calleja JL, Albillos A, Moreno-Otero R, Rossi I, Cacho G, Domper F, Yebra M, Escartín P
- Issue date: 1999 Sep
- Predictive value of early virologic response in HIV/hepatitis C virus-coinfected patients treated with an interferon-based regimen plus ribavirin.
- Authors: Laguno M, Larrousse M, Murillas J, Blanco JL, León A, Milinkovic A, Loncá M, Martinez E, Sánchez-Tapias JM, de Lazzari E, Gatell JM, Costa J, Mallolas J
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 1
- Combination of interferon alfa-2b and ribavirin in liver transplant recipients with histological recurrent hepatitis C.
- Authors: Firpi RJ, Abdelmalek MF, Soldevila-Pico C, Reed A, Hemming A, Howard R, Van Der Werf W, Lauwers G, Liu C, Crawford JM, Davis GL, Nelson DR
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Pegylated interferon-alpha-2a plus ribavirin for treatment-naive Asian patients with hepatitis C virus genotype 1 infection: a multicenter, randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Liu CH, Liu CJ, Lin CL, Liang CC, Hsu SJ, Yang SS, Hsu CS, Tseng TC, Wang CC, Lai MY, Chen JH, Chen PJ, Chen DS, Kao JH
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 15