Giant cell tumour in the foot of a skeletally immature girl: a case report.
AffiliationCappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital, Cappagh Road, Finglas, Dublin 11, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Giant Cell Tumor of Bone
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationGiant cell tumour in the foot of a skeletally immature girl: a case report. 2009, 17 (2):248-50 J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong)
JournalJournal of orthopaedic surgery (Hong Kong)
AbstractWe present a case of delayed diagnosis of a benign giant cell tumour (GCT) of the third metatarsal in a skeletally immature girl. The patient underwent en bloc excision of the tumour. The tumour had replaced the third metatarsal and had infiltrated the surrounding soft tissue and the second and fourth metatarsal bases. Deep, lateral and medial margins were all involved. A high index of suspicion is needed when evaluating any tumours of the foot, because the compact structure of the foot may delay diagnosis. Early detection is important for avoiding amputation, as the hindfoot and midfoot are classified as one compartment and radical resection is impossible to achieve. Tumours grow faster in the foot than in other bones. GCT in this location and age-group are rare and should be considered in the differential diagnosis of a destructive bony lesion in skeletally immature patients.
- Giant cell tumor of the first metatarsal.
- Authors: Siddiqui YS, Zahid M, Bin Sabir A, Julfiqar.
- Issue date: 2011 Apr-Jun
- Metatarsal giant cell tumour in a 7-year-old child: a case report.
- Authors: Dridi M, Ben SS, M'Barek M, Trabelsi M
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Giant cell tumour of bone in a skeletally immature patient.
- Authors: Nag S, Jain VK, Singh Y, Arya RK, Mittal D
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Giant cell tumor and the skeletally immature patient.
- Authors: Morgan JD, Eady JL
- Issue date: 1999 Winter
- Giant cell tumor of second and third metatarsals and a simplified surgical technique: report of two cases.
- Authors: Yurdoglu C, Altan E, Tonbul M, Ozbaydar MU
- Issue date: 2011 Mar-Apr