Saltwater nectotizing fasciitis following coral reef laceration possibly exacerbated by a long-haul flight: a case report.
AffiliationDepartment of Orthopaedics, Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSaltwater nectotizing fasciitis following coral reef laceration possibly exacerbated by a long-haul flight: a case report. 2009, 2:9102notCases J
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Necrotising fasciits is a rapidly progressive disease characterised by extensive necrosis of the fascia, skin, and subcutaneous tissue, with relative sparing of the underlying muscle. CASE PRESENTATION: We present the case of a 24-year old Irish male student who sustained a laceration to his right shin from contact with a coral reef while swimming in the Phuket region, off the west coast of Thailand. The following day, he returned to Ireland and presented with an aggressive and destructive variant of group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal necrotising fasciitis originating at the site of the coral reef injury, and exacerbated by the long-haul flight. He was successfully treated with aggressive surgical debridement, vacuum-assisted dressings, split skin grafting and broad spectrum antibiotics. CONCLUSION: Necrotising fasciitis can progress rapidly to systemic toxicity and even death without expedient diagnosis and aggressive treatment. Long-haul flights induce significant fluid accumulation in the lower extremity. These physiological fluid shifts may have contributed to the severity of our patient's necrotizing condition following his flight from Thailand.
CollectionsJournal articles & published research
- Cervical necrotising fasciitis and descending mediastinitis secondary to unilateral tonsillitis: a case report.
- Authors: Islam A, Oko M
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 4
- Massive necrotizing fasciitis following bellow-knee arterial surgery - A therapeutic challenge.
- Authors: Popov P, Tanasković S, Sotirović V, Nenezić D, Radak D
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Primary necrotising fasciitis of the breast: case report and brief review of literature.
- Authors: Yaji P, Bhat B, E H
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Analysis of the increasing prevalence of necrotising fasciitis referrals to a regional plastic surgery unit: a retrospective case series.
- Authors: Hodgins N, Damkat-Thomas L, Shamsian N, Yew P, Lewis H, Khan K
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- [Necrotizing fasciitis. Case report and review of literature].
- Authors: Sztajnbok J, Sztajnbok S, Marotto PC, Seguro AC
- Issue date: 1998 Jan-Feb