Alterations in integrin expression modulates invasion of pancreatic cancer cells.
AffiliationNational Institute for Cellular Biotechnology, Dublin City University, Glasnevin, Dublin 9, Ireland. email@example.com
Cell Line, Tumor
RNA, Small Interfering
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAlterations in integrin expression modulates invasion of pancreatic cancer cells. 2009, 28:140 J. Exp. Clin. Cancer Res.
JournalJournal of experimental & clinical cancer research : CR
AbstractBACKGROUND: Factors mediating the invasion of pancreatic cancer cells through the extracellular matrix (ECM) are not fully understood. METHODS: In this study, sub-populations of the human pancreatic cancer cell line, MiaPaCa-2 were established which displayed differences in invasion, adhesion, anoikis, anchorage-independent growth and integrin expression. RESULTS: Clone #3 displayed higher invasion with less adhesion, while Clone #8 was less invasive with increased adhesion to ECM proteins compared to MiaPaCa-2. Clone #8 was more sensitive to anoikis than Clone #3 and MiaPaCa-2, and displayed low colony-forming efficiency in an anchorage-independent growth assay. Integrins beta 1, alpha 5 and alpha 6 were over-expressed in Clone #8. Using small interfering RNA (siRNA), integrin beta1 knockdown in Clone #8 cells increased invasion through matrigel and fibronectin, increased motility, decreased adhesion and anoikis. Integrin alpha 5 and alpha 6 knockdown also resulted in increased motility, invasion through matrigel and decreased adhesion. CONCLUSION: Our results suggest that altered expression of integrins interacting with different extracellular matrixes may play a significant role in suppressing the aggressive invasive phenotype. Analysis of these clonal populations of MiaPaCa-2 provides a model for investigations into the invasive properties of pancreatic carcinoma.
CollectionsJournal articles & published research
- The role of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) and integrins for invasion and metastasis in human pancreatic cancer cells.
- Authors: Funahashi H, Okada Y, Sawai H, Takahashi H, Matsuo Y, Takeyama H, Manabe T
- Issue date: 2005 Jul 1
- Alteration of integrin expression by glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) in human pancreatic cancer cells.
- Authors: Funahashi H, Takeyama H, Sawai H, Furuta A, Sato M, Okada Y, Hayakawa T, Tanaka M, Manabe T
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- AMPA receptors promote perivascular glioma invasion via beta1 integrin-dependent adhesion to the extracellular matrix.
- Authors: Piao Y, Lu L, de Groot J
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Enhancement of integrins by interleukin-1alpha, and their relationship with metastatic and invasive behavior of human pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma cells.
- Authors: Sawai H, Takeyama H, Yamamoto M, Furuta A, Funahashi H, Okada Y, Sato M, Tanaka M, Manabe T
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- RNA interference suppression of mucin 5AC (MUC5AC) reduces the adhesive and invasive capacity of human pancreatic cancer cells.
- Authors: Yamazoe S, Tanaka H, Sawada T, Amano R, Yamada N, Ohira M, Hirakawa K
- Issue date: 2010 May 23