The management of acute parathyroid crisis secondary to parathyroid carcinoma: a case report.
AffiliationSurgical Professorial Unit, Saint Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin 4, Ireland. email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationThe management of acute parathyroid crisis secondary to parathyroid carcinoma: a case report. 2010, 4 (1):28 J Med Case Reports
JournalJournal of medical case reports
AbstractABSTRACT: INTRODUCTION: Hypercalcaemic hyperparathyroid crisis is a rare but life-threatening complication of primary hyperparathyroidism. Parathyroid carcinoma is a rare malignancy with an incidence of 0.5% to 4% of all reported cases of primary hyperparathyroidism. CASE PRESENTATION: We report the case of a 60-year-old Caucasian man with hypercalcaemic hyperparathyroid crisis associated with parathyroid carcinoma. He presented with a classic hypercalcaemic syndrome and his serum calcium and parathyroid hormone levels were at 4.65 mmol/L and 1743 ng/L, respectively. He initially presented with a two-week history of weakness and lethargy and a one-week history of vomiting, polyuria and polydipsia. An emergency left thyroid lobectomy and left lower parathyroidectomy were performed. There was a prompt decrease in his parathyroid hormone level immediately after surgery. Histology revealed that our patient had a 4-cm parathyroid carcinoma. CONCLUSION: In patients with parathyroid carcinoma, the optimal surgical treatment is en bloc resection with ipsilateral thyroid lobectomy and removal of any enlarged or abnormal lymph nodes. Surgery is the only curative treatment. In our patient, prompt surgical intervention proved successful. At six months the patient is well with no evidence of disease recurrence. This case highlights the importance of considering a hyperparathyroid storm in the context of a parathyroid carcinoma. Parathyroid carcinoma is a rare entity and our knowledge is mainly derived from case reports and retrospective studies. This case report increases awareness of this serious and life-threatening complication. This report also illustrates how prompt and appropriate management provides the best outcome for the patient.
CollectionsJournal articles & published research
- Management and surgical treatment of parathyroid crisis secondary to parathyroid tumors: report of four cases.
- Authors: Ameerudden S, He X
- Issue date: 2011
- [Parathyroid carcinoma. Therapeutic strategies derived from 20 years of experience].
- Authors: Pelizzo MR, Piotto A, Bergamasco A, Rubello D, Casara D
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Intracranial metastatic parathyroid carcinoma: case report.
- Authors: Tyler D 3rd, Mandybur G, Dhillon G, Fratkin J
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Recurrence of Hyperparathyroid Hypercalcemia in a Patient With the HRPT-2 Mutation and a Previous Parathyroid Carcinoma in Hyperparathyroidism-Jaw Tumor Syndrome.
- Authors: Mele M, Rolighed L, Jespersen M, Rejnmark L, Christiansen P
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Surviving extreme hypercalcaemia--a case report and review of the literature.
- Authors: Marienhagen K, Due J, Hanssen TA, Svartberg J
- Issue date: 2005 Jul