Pre-treatment preferences and characteristics among patients seeking in vitro fertilisation.
AffiliationThe Sims Institute/Sims International Fertility Clinic, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPre-treatment preferences and characteristics among patients seeking in vitro fertilisation. 2009, 6:21 Reprod Health
AbstractBACKGROUND: This study sought to describe patient features before beginning fertility treatment, and to ascertain their perceptions relative to risk of twin pregnancy outcomes associated with such therapy. METHODS: Data on readiness for twin pregnancy outcome from in vitro fertilisation (IVF) was gathered from men and women before initiating fertility treatment by anonymous questionnaire. RESULTS: A total of 206 women and 204 men were sampled. Mean (+/- SD) age for women and men being 35.5 +/- 5 and 37.3 +/- 7 yrs, respectively. At least one IVF cycle had been attempted by 27.2% of patients and 33.9% of this subgroup had initiated >/=3 cycles, reflecting an increase in previous failed cycles over five years. Good agreement was noted between husbands and wives with respect to readiness for twins from IVF (77% agreement; Cohen's K = 0.61; 95% CI 0.53 to 0.70). CONCLUSION: Most patients contemplating IVF already have ideas about particular outcomes even before treatment begins, and suggests that husbands & wives are in general agreement on their readiness for twin pregnancy from IVF. However, fertility patients now may represent a more refractory population and therefore carry a more guarded prognosis. Patient preferences identified before IVF remain important, but further studies comparing pre- and post-treatment perceptions are needed.
- Blastocyst transfer for multiple prior IVF failure: a five year descriptive study.
- Authors: Walsh AP, Shkrobot LV, Coull GD, Peirce KL, Walsh DJ, Salma U, Sills ES
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- The effect of female age on the likelihood of a live birth from one in-vitro fertilisation treatment.
- Authors: Jansen RP
- Issue date: 2003 Mar 17
- [The analysis of physicians' work: announcing the end of attempts at in vitro fertilization].
- Authors: Santiago-Delefosse M, Cahen F, Coeffin-Driol C
- Issue date: 2003 Jul-Aug
- [Methods and results of in-vitro fertilisation in the Netherlands in the years 1983-1994].
- Authors: De Boer EJ, Van Leeuwen FE, Den Tonkelaar I, Jansen CA, Braat DD, Burger CW
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 17
- In vitro fertilisation and gamete intrafallopian transfer: an integrative analysis of research, 1987-1992.
- Authors: Kenny DT
- Issue date: 1995 Apr