Midgut pain due to an intussuscepting terminal ileal lipoma: a case report.
AffiliationDivision of Colorectal Surgery, Adelaide and Meath Incorporating the National Children's Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Ireland. email@example.com.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMidgut pain due to an intussuscepting terminal ileal lipoma: a case report. 2010, 4:51 J Med Case Reports
JournalJournal of medical case reports
AbstractABSTRACT: INTRODUCTION: The occurrence of intussusception in adults is rare. The condition is found in 1 in 1300 abdominal operations and 1 in 100 patients operated for intestinal obstruction. The child to adult ratio is 20:1. CASE PRESENTATION: A 52-year-old Irish Caucasian woman was investigated for a 3-month history of intermittent episodes of colicky midgut pain and associated constipation. Ileocolonoscopy revealed a pedunculated lesion in the terminal ileum prolapsing into the caecum. Computed tomography confirmed a smooth-walled, nonobstructing, low density intramural lesion in the terminal ileum with secondary intussusception. A laparoscopic small bowel resection was performed. Histology revealed a large pedunculated polypoidal mass measuring 4 x 2.5 x 2 cm consistent with a submucosal lipoma. She had complete resolution of her symptoms and remained well at 12-month follow-up. CONCLUSION: This case highlights an unusual cause of incomplete small bowel obstruction successfully treated through interdisciplinary cooperation. Ileal lipomas are not typically amenable to endoscopic removal and require resection. This can be successfully achieved via a laparoscopic approach with early restoration of premorbid functioning.
- [Intestinal occlusion due to a colonic lipoma. Apropos 2 cases].
- Authors: Marra B
- Issue date: 1993 Sep 30
- Preoperative radiologic patent blue localization for intracorporeal laparoscopic resection of a terminal ileal submucosal lipoma: A case report.
- Authors: Wu HY, Huang SF, Pan KT, Yu MC
- Issue date: 2018
- Ileocolocolic intussusception secondary to a submucosal lipoma: an unusual cause of intermittent abdominal pain in a 62-year-old woman.
- Authors: Kuzmich S, Connelly JP, Howlett DC, Kuzmich T, Basit R, Doctor C
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Inflammatory fibroid polyp of the ileum presenting with small bowel obstruction in an adult patient: a case report.
- Authors: Toydemir T
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 30
- Laparoscopic resection of ileal lipoma diagnosed by multidetector-row computed tomography.
- Authors: Ako E, Morisaki T, Hasegawa T, Hirakawa T, Tachimori A, Nakazawa K, Yamagata S, Kanehara I, Nishimura S, Taenaka N
- Issue date: 2010 Dec