Mechanisms of ER Stress-Mediated Mitochondrial Membrane Permeabilization.
Logue, Susan E
AffiliationApoptosis Research Centre, School of Natural Sciences, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMechanisms of ER Stress-Mediated Mitochondrial Membrane Permeabilization. 2010, 2010:170215 Int J Cell Biol
JournalInternational journal of cell biology
AbstractDuring apoptosis, the process of mitochondrial outer membrane permeabilization (MOMP) represents a point-of-no-return as it commits the cell to death. Here we have assessed the role of caspases, Bcl-2 family members and the mitochondrial permeability transition pore on ER stress-induced MOMP and subsequent cell death. Induction of ER stress leads to upregulation of several genes such as Grp78, Edem1, Erp72, Atf4, Wars, Herp, p58ipk, and ERdj4 and leads to caspase activation, release of mitochondrial intermembrane proteins and dissipation of mitochondrial transmembrane potential (DeltaPsim). Mouse embryonic fibroblasts (MEFs) from caspase-9, -2 and, -3 knock-out mice were resistant to ER stress-induced apoptosis which correlated with decreased processing of pro-caspase-3 and -9. Furthermore, pretreatment of cells with caspase inhibitors (Boc-D.fmk and DEVD.fmk) attenuated ER stress-induced loss of DeltaPsim. However, only deficiency of caspase-9 and -2 could prevent ER stress-mediated loss of DeltaPsim. Bcl-2 overexpression or pretreatment of cells with the cell permeable BH4 domain (BH4-Tat) or the mitochondrial permeability transition pore inhibitors, bongkrekic acid or cyclosporine A, attenuated the ER stress-induced loss of DeltaPsim. These data suggest a role for caspase-9 and -2, Bcl-2 family members and the mitochondrial permeability transition pore in loss of mitochondrial membrane potential during ER stress-induced apoptosis.
- Deficiency in the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway reveals the toxic potential of autophagy under ER stress conditions.
- Authors: Deegan S, Saveljeva S, Logue SE, Pakos-Zebrucka K, Gupta S, Vandenabeele P, Bertrand MJ, Samali A
- Issue date: 2014
- zVAD-fmk upregulates caspase-9 cleavage and activity in etoposide-induced cell death of mouse embryonic fibroblasts.
- Authors: Rodríguez-Enfedaque A, Delmas E, Guillaume A, Gaumer S, Mignotte B, Vayssière JL, Renaud F
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Proteasome inhibitor MG132-induced apoptosis via ER stress-mediated apoptotic pathway and its potentiation by protein tyrosine kinase p56lck in human Jurkat T cells.
- Authors: Park HS, Jun do Y, Han CR, Woo HJ, Kim YH
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 1
- Rutin hydrate inhibits apoptosis in the brains of cadmium chloride-treated rats via preserving the mitochondrial integrity and inhibiting endoplasmic reticulum stress.
- Authors: Mostafa DG, Khaleel EF, Badi RM, Abdel-Aleem GA, Abdeen HM
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress induces calcium-dependent permeability transition, mitochondrial outer membrane permeabilization and apoptosis.
- Authors: Deniaud A, Sharaf el dein O, Maillier E, Poncet D, Kroemer G, Lemaire C, Brenner C
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 10