Inhibition by anandamide of 6-hydroxydopamine-induced cell death in PC12 cells.
AffiliationSchool of Natural Sciences, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationInhibition by anandamide of 6-hydroxydopamine-induced cell death in PC12 cells. 2010, 2010:818497 Int J Cell Biol
JournalInternational journal of cell biology
Abstract6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) is a selective neurotoxin that is widely used to investigate cell death and protective strategies in models of Parkinson's disease. Here, we investigated the effects of the endogenous cannabinoid, anandamide, on 6-OHDA-induced toxicity in rat adrenal phaeochromocytoma PC12 cells. Morphological analysis and caspase-3 activity assay revealed that anandamide inhibited 6-OHDA-induced apoptosis. The protection was not affected by antagonists of either cannabinoid receptors (CB(1) or CB(2)) or the vanilloid receptor TRPV1. Anandamide-dependent protection was reduced by pretreatment with LY294002 (inhibitor of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, PI3K) and unaffected by U0126 (inhibitor of extracellularly-regulated kinase). Interestingly, phosphorylation of c-Jun-NH2-terminal kinase (JNK) in cells exposed to 6-OHDA was strongly reduced by anandamide pre-treatment. Furthermore, 6-OHDA induced c-Jun activation and increased Bim expression, both of which were inhibited by anandamide. Together, these data demonstrate antiapoptotic effects of anandamide and also suggest a role for activation of PI3K and inhibition of JNK signalling in anandamide-mediated protection against 6-OHDA.
- Eucommia ulmoides Oliv. bark. attenuates 6-hydroxydopamine-induced neuronal cell death through inhibition of oxidative stress in SH-SY5Y cells.
- Authors: Kwon SH, Ma SX, Hong SI, Kim SY, Lee SY, Jang CG
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 27
- Effects of (-)-sesamin on 6-hydroxydopamine-induced neurotoxicity in PC12 cells and dopaminergic neuronal cells of Parkinson's disease rat models.
- Authors: Park HJ, Zhao TT, Lee KS, Lee SH, Shin KS, Park KH, Choi HS, Lee MK
- Issue date: 2015 Apr-May
- Protein kinase C delta mediated cytotoxicity of 6-Hydroxydopamine via sustained extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 activation in PC12 cells.
- Authors: Fan Y, Li J, Zhang YQ, Jiang LH, Zhang YN, Yan CQ
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Sulfuretin inhibits 6-hydroxydopamine-induced neuronal cell death via reactive oxygen species-dependent mechanisms in human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells.
- Authors: Kwon SH, Ma SX, Lee SY, Jang CG
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Protective effect of hydrogen sulphide against 6-OHDA-induced cell injury in SH-SY5Y cells involves PKC/PI3K/Akt pathway.
- Authors: Tiong CX, Lu M, Bian JS
- Issue date: 2010 Sep