Is tuberculin testing before BCG vaccination necessary for children over three months of age?
AffiliationDepartment of Community Health, Western Road, Clonmel, Co Tipperary. Brendan.Hennessy@hse.ie
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIs tuberculin testing before BCG vaccination necessary for children over three months of age? 2008, 101 (3):72-4 Ir Med J
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractIn July 2007 Irish national policy changed such that children aged 3 months to 6 years no longer routinely require tuberculin (Mantoux) skin testing prior to BCG vaccination. Previous to that a tuberculin test was required in all children in this age group pre vaccination. While the previous policy was in place this study was conducted to assess the value of this test. The observation that children are frightened by the test (an injection into the skin) prompted the study. The author conducted a retrospective study of the results of 1,854 tuberculin tests performed as a prerequisite to BCG vaccination and found that only 0.7% of children had a positive test result (induration > 5mm). None of 107 children < 6 years of age tested positive. Those > 12 years were more likely to test positive than younger children (1.09% vs 0.4% respectively, p < 0.05). This study suggests that testing young children before BCG vaccination has a low yield of positive results and adds little to the detection of latent or active TB.
- [Evaluation of tuberculin reactivity in different age groups with and without BCG vaccination].
- Authors: Yildirim C, Küçük AI, Ongüt G, Oğünç D, Colak D, Mutlu G
- Issue date: 2009 Jan
- Interpretation of repeat tuberculin skin testing in international adoptees: conversions or boosting.
- Authors: Mandalakas AM, Kirchner HL, Zhu X, Yeo KT, Starke JR
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Tuberculin skin testing in BCG-vaccinated populations of adults and children at high risk for tuberculosis in Taiwan.
- Authors: Bowerman RJ
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Risk factors associated with latent tuberculosis infection in Mexican American children.
- Authors: Young J, O'Connor ME
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- The effect of Bacille Calmette-Guérin vaccine on tuberculin reactivity in indigenous children from communities with high prevalence of tuberculosis.
- Authors: Araujo Z, de Waard JH, de Larrea CF, Borges R, Convit J
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 16