AffiliationDepartment of Public Health, HSE-West, Limerick, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationDetermining the cost of genital warts: a study from Ireland. 2009, 85 (5):402-3notSex Transm Infect
JournalSexually transmitted infections
AbstractOBJECTIVES: To determine the average cost of a case of genital warts, for both males and females, with a view to informing the current debate as to which Human papillomavirus vaccine would have maximum cost-effectiveness in the Irish population. METHODS: Contact time between patients and healthcare professionals was prospectively measured at five genitourinary medicine clinics in the south-west of Ireland, over a period of 3 weeks. By identifying all those with genital warts, it was possible to calculate the proportion of total time taken by patients with this condition, and from this to calculate a cost per incident case, by gender. RESULTS: A total of 25.5% of attendances were for genital warts, and these patients used 26.2% of total clinic time (CI 25.4 to 27.0%). The average cost calculated for genital warts was 335 euros per incident case, and by gender 300 euros per male case and 366 euros per female case. CONCLUSIONS: There are considerable costs associated with the treatment of genital warts, with female cases representing a higher cost than males. By vaccinating with the quadrivalent HPV vaccine, there are significant savings to be made.
- [Anogenital warts incidence, medical management and costs in women consulting gynaecologists in France].
- Authors: Monsonégo J, Breugelmans JG, Bouée S, Lafuma A, Bénard S, Rémy V
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Assessing incidence and economic burden of genital warts with data from a US commercially insured population.
- Authors: Hoy T, Singhal PK, Willey VJ, Insinga RP
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Cost of treatment and QALYs lost due to genital warts: data for the economic evaluation of HPV vaccines in the United Kingdom.
- Authors: Woodhall SC, Jit M, Cai C, Ramsey T, Zia S, Crouch S, Birks Y, Newton R, Edmunds WJ, Lacey CJ
- Issue date: 2009 Aug
- Cost of Preventing, Managing, and Treating Human Papillomavirus (HPV)-Related Diseases in Sweden before the Introduction of Quadrivalent HPV Vaccination.
- Authors: Östensson E, Fröberg M, Leval A, Hellström AC, Bäcklund M, Zethraeus N, Andersson S
- Issue date: 2015
- Medical Care Costs Associated with Genital Warts for Commercially Insured US Patients.
- Authors: Dahlstrom KR, Fu S, Chan W, Shelal Z, Ramondetta LM, Lairson DR
- Issue date: 2018 Nov