AffiliationEmergency Department, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Eccles Street, Dublin 7, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationMinor injury attendance times to the ED. 2009, 17 (3):169-72notInt Emerg Nurs
JournalInternational emergency nursing
AbstractThe Health Service Executive (HSE) highlights the need for effective patient throughput and management, whilst providing appropriate staffing and therapeutic interventions. It acknowledges that patient need is integral to the development of a nurse led service and advocates planning staffing levels to reflect arrival times of patients. An observational study of all patients who presented to the emergency department in July 2005 and February 2006 was undertaken (n=7768). The study identified 1577 patients suitable for treatment by the Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP) in these two months, which represents 20% of all patient attendances to the ED in this time period. A data collection tool was devised collectively by the ANPs to identify appropriate patients. The findings of the study revealed that 73% of patients suitable for the ANP service presented between the hours of 0800 and 2000, of which 54% attended between 0800 and 1600 h. Sunday emerged as the busiest day in July 2005 whereas Monday was found to be the busiest day in February 2006. Friday was found to be consistently busy for both months.
- Identification of the development needs for the emergency care nursing workforce.
- Authors: Nixon V
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Defining the scope of practice of the emergency nurse practitioner role in a metropolitan emergency department.
- Authors: Considine J, Martin R, Smit D, Jenkins J, Winter C
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- Nurse discharge planning in the emergency department: a Toowoomba, Australia, study.
- Authors: Hegney D, Buikstra E, Chamberlain C, March J, McKay M, Cope G, Fallon T
- Issue date: 2006 Aug
- Evaluating patient presentations for care delivered by emergency nurse practitioners: a retrospective analysis of 12 months.
- Authors: Jennings N, McKeown E, O'Reilly G, Gardner G
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- The role of the nurse practitioner in level II trauma at Nationwide Children's Hospital.
- Authors: McManaway C, Drewes B
- Issue date: 2010 Apr-Jun