Rare Cutaneous Manifestations of Erdheim Chester Disease: A Case Report and Literature Review.
diagnosis of rare cases
erdheim chester disease
non-langerhans cell histiocytosis
rare skin disease
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractErdheim Chester disease (ECD) is a rare and complex non-Langerhans histiocytic systemic disease that affects multiple organ systems, including the bones, heart, lungs, and central nervous system. Fewer than 1,000 cases have been reported in the medical literature and dermatological manifestations of the disease are rare but can provide valuable diagnostic clues for this challenging disease. The cutaneous manifestations of ECD can take many forms, including nodules, plaques, papules, and xanthomas. These lesions can occur on any part of the body and may be solitary or multiple. Cutaneous manifestations of ECD have been reported to occur in up to 20% of cases, but the true prevalence may be higher, as many cases may go undiagnosed. We present the case of a 62-year-old gentleman with a history of ECD currently on vemurafenib who presented with multiple painless subcutaneous nodules on his back after an excision biopsy under local anesthetic revealed histological features of ECD. The objective of this case report is to raise awareness of ECD and its dermatological manifestations. Further research is warranted to better understand the pathogenesis and morphology of cutaneous involvement in ECD.
- Erdheim-Chester disease: expanding the spectrum of cutaneous manifestations.
- Authors: Kobic A, Shah KK, Schmitt AR, Goyal G, Go RS, Guo R, Rech KL, Sartori-Valinotti JC, Mayo Clinic Histiocytosis Working Group
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Cutaneous manifestations of Erdheim-Chester disease (ECD): Clinical, pathological, and molecular features in a monocentric series of 40 patients.
- Authors: Chasset F, Barete S, Charlotte F, Cohen-Aubart F, Arnaud L, Le Pelletier F, Emile JF, Francès C, Amoura Z, Haroche J
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- (18)F-FDG positron emission tomography/computed tomography and (99m)Tc-MDP skeletal scintigraphy in a case of Erdheim-Chester disease.
- Authors: Asabella AN, Cimmino A, Altini C, Notaristefano A, Rubini G
- Issue date: 2011 Sep-Dec
- Dramatic efficacy of dabrafenib in Erdheim-Chester disease (ECD): a pediatric patient with multiple large intracranial ECD lesions hidden by refractory Langerhans cell histiocytosis.
- Authors: Hao X, Feng R, Bi Y, Liu Y, Li C, Lu T, Tian Y
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 28
- Coexistence of intracranial Langerhans cell histiocytosis and Erdheim-Chester disease in a pediatric patient: a case report.
- Authors: Kim S, Lee M, Shin HJ, Lee J, Suh YL
- Issue date: 2016 May