Medium Chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase Deficiency (MCADD) in the Irish Paediatric Population.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractAim This study aims to investigate the disease frequency of Medium Chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase Deficiency (MCADD) among the Irish population. Methods Children (<18 years) with MCADD were identified via the National Centre for Inherited Metabolic Disorders and the metabolic laboratory at Temple Street Children's University Hospital. Central Statistics Office population data was used to calculate epidemiological figures. Results From 1998 to 2016, 17 children (<18 years) were diagnosed with MCADD including two patients whose initial presentation was fatal. The mean age at initial presentation was 1.48 years (Range: 0.005 to 2.86). The incidence was 1:71650 with mortality at 15.38%. No child subsequently died post diagnosis. The common c.985A>G mutation accounted for 88% of alleles. Conclusion The incidence of MCADD in Ireland is lower than global estimates. The potential for under-ascertainment and late diagnosis of cases exists in Ireland and is of concern for a treatable condition with a significant mortality when undiagnosed. The authors welcome the introduction of MCADD to the National Newborn Bloodspot Screening Program.
- The first three years of screening for medium chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency (MCADD) by newborn screening ontario.
- Authors: Kennedy S, Potter BK, Wilson K, Fisher L, Geraghty M, Milburn J, Chakraborty P
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 17
- Ethnicity of children with homozygous c.985A>G medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency: findings from screening approximately 1.1 million newborn infants.
- Authors: Khalid JM, Oerton J, Cortina-Borja M, Andresen BS, Besley G, Dalton RN, Downing M, Green A, Henderson M, Leonard J, Dezateux C, UK Collaborative Study of Newborn Screening for MCADD
- Issue date: 2008
- Newborn screening for medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency: regional experience and high incidence of carnitine deficiency.
- Authors: Couce ML, Sánchez-Pintos P, Diogo L, Leão-Teles E, Martins E, Santos H, Bueno MA, Delgado-Pecellín C, Castiñeiras DE, Cocho JA, García-Villoria J, Ribes A, Fraga JM, Rocha H
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 10
- Medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency in Saudi Arabia: incidence, genotype, and preventive implications.
- Authors: Al-Hassnan ZN, Imtiaz F, Al-Amoudi M, Rahbeeni Z, Al-Sayed M, Al-Owain M, Al-Zaidan H, Al-Odaib A, Rashed MS
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Newborn screening by tandem mass spectrometry for medium-chain Acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency: a cost-effectiveness analysis.
- Authors: Venditti LN, Venditti CP, Berry GT, Kaplan PB, Kaye EM, Glick H, Stanley CA
- Issue date: 2003 Nov