Risk Factors for Respiratory Syncytial Virus Bronchiolitis Admissions.
PAEDIATRIC INTENSIVE CARE
MetadataShow full item record
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractAim Determine the seasonal incidence of hospital Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) bronchiolitis and explore the variables associated with admission to ward versus the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU). Method Retrospective case-control study. Children, aged ≤2 years, between November and March, over a 3 year period with a positive RSV nasopharyngeal aspirate test. Results A total of 557 children were included; 19% (n=106) required PICU admission. Children admitted to the PICU were younger in age, median (IQR) 6.93 (3.96, 11.89) weeks compared to children who remained on the wards 11.00 (5.86, 24.14) weeks. Being underweight at the point of admission (adjusted odds ratio 3.15, 95% 1.46, 6.70, p=0.003) was associated with a PICU admission. Conclusion Number of RSV bronchiolitis hospitalisations are increasing each year. Age, weight and the use of HFNC were independent predictors for PICU admission.
- Asthma risk after a pediatric intensive care unit admission for respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitis.
- Authors: Be'er M, Bushmitz S, Cahal M, Sadot E, Yochpaz S, Besor O, Amirav I, Lavie M
- Issue date: 2022 Jul
- Association between multiple respiratory viral infections and pediatric intensive care unit admission among infants with bronchiolitis.
- Authors: Tsou P, Vadivelan A, Kovvuri M, Garg N, Thangavelu M, Wang Y, Raj S
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Hospitalization for respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitis and disease severity in twins.
- Authors: Dotan M, Ashkenazi-Hoffnung L, Samra Z, Livni G, Yarden-Bilavsky H, Amir J, Bilavsky E
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Risk factors for admission and the role of respiratory syncytial virus-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocyte responses in children with acute bronchiolitis.
- Authors: Jeena PM, Ayannusi OE, Annamalai K, Naidoo P, Coovadia HM, Guldner P
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- Respiratory syncytial virus testing during bronchiolitis episodes of care in an integrated health care delivery system: a retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Flaherman V, Li S, Ragins A, Masaquel A, Kipnis P, Escobar GJ
- Issue date: 2010 Dec