Response to treatment and outcomes of infantile spasms in Down syndrome.
Allen, Nicholas M
King, Mary D
Lynch, Sally A
Gorman, Kathleen M
MetadataShow full item record
JournalDevelopmental medicine and child neurology
PubMed Central IDPMC9303415
AbstractAim: To estimate the prevalence, and evaluate presentation, treatment response, treatment side effects, and long-term seizure outcomes in all known cases of children with Down syndrome and infantile spasms on the island of Ireland. Method: This was a 10-year retrospective multicentre review of clinical records and investigations, focusing on treatment response, side effects, and long-term outcomes. Results: The prevalence of infantile spasms in Down syndrome was 3.0% during the study period. Fifty-four infants were identified with median age of spasm onset at 201 days (interquartile range [IQR] 156-242). Spasm cessation was achieved in 88% (n=46) at a median of 110 days (IQR 5-66). The most common first-line medications were prednisolone (n=20, 37%), vigabatrin (n=18, 33.3%), and sodium valproate (n=9, 16.7%). At follow-up (median age 23.7mo; IQR 13.4-40.6), 25% had ongoing seizures and 85% had developmental concerns. Treatment within 60 days did not correlate with spasm cessation. Seventeen children (31%) experienced medication side effects, with vigabatrin accounting for 52%. Interpretation: Prednisolone is an effective and well-tolerated medication for treating infantile spasms in Down syndrome. Despite the high percentage of spasm cessation, developmental concerns and ongoing seizures were common.
- Response to sequential treatment with prednisolone and vigabatrin in infantile spasms.
- Authors: Dzau W, Cheng S, Snell P, Fahey M, Scheffer IE, Harvey AS, Howell KB
- Issue date: 2022 Dec
- Safety and effectiveness of hormonal treatment versus hormonal treatment with vigabatrin for infantile spasms (ICISS): a randomised, multicentre, open-label trial.
- Authors: O'Callaghan FJ, Edwards SW, Alber FD, Hancock E, Johnson AL, Kennedy CR, Likeman M, Lux AL, Mackay M, Mallick AA, Newton RW, Nolan M, Pressler R, Rating D, Schmitt B, Verity CM, Osborne JP, participating investigators
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Vigabatrin with hormonal treatment versus hormonal treatment alone (ICISS) for infantile spasms: 18-month outcomes of an open-label, randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: O'Callaghan FJK, Edwards SW, Alber FD, Cortina Borja M, Hancock E, Johnson AL, Kennedy CR, Likeman M, Lux AL, Mackay MT, Mallick AA, Newton RW, Nolan M, Pressler R, Rating D, Schmitt B, Verity CM, Osborne JP, International Collaborative Infantile Spasms Study (ICISS) investigators
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Treatment outcomes for infantile spasms in Japanese children with Down syndrome.
- Authors: Nishimoto S, Shimakawa S, Fukui M, Ogino M, Tsuda-Kitahara H, Toshikawa H, Nomura S, Kunisada K, Kashiwagi M, Miyamoto R, Tamai H, Ashida A
- Issue date: 2021 Dec
- The United Kingdom Infantile Spasms Study (UKISS) comparing hormone treatment with vigabatrin on developmental and epilepsy outcomes to age 14 months: a multicentre randomised trial.
- Authors: Lux AL, Edwards SW, Hancock E, Johnson AL, Kennedy CR, Newton RW, O'Callaghan FJ, Verity CM, Osborne JP, United Kingdom Infantile Spasms Study
- Issue date: 2005 Nov