An Evaluation of the Impact of a Multicomponent Stop Smoking Intervention in an Irish Prison.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalInternational journal of environmental research and public health
AbstractThe disproportionately high prevalence of tobacco use among prisoners remains an important public health issue. While Ireland has well-established legislative bans on smoking in public places, these do not apply in prisons. This study evaluates a multi-component tobacco control intervention in a medium security prison for adult males in Ireland. A stop-smoking intervention, targeting staff and prisoners, was designed, implemented, and evaluated with a before-and-after study. Analysis was conducted using McNemar's test for paired binary data, Wilcoxon signed rank test for ordinal data, and paired T-tests for continuous normal data. Pre-intervention, 44.3% (n = 58) of the study population were current smokers, consisting of 60.7% of prisoners (n = 51) and 15.9% of staff (n = 7). Post-intervention, 45.1% of prisoners (n = 23/51) and 100% of staff (n = 7/7) who identified as current smokers pre-intervention reported abstinence from smoking. Among non-smokers, the proportion reporting being exposed to someone else's cigarette smoke while being a resident or working in the unit decreased from 69.4% (n = 50/72) pre-intervention to 27.8% (n = 20/72) post-intervention (p < 0.001). This multicomponent intervention resulted in high abstinence rates, had high acceptability among both staff and prisoners, and was associated with wider health benefits across the prison setting.
- Prison Staff and Prisoner Views on a Prison Smoking Ban: Evidence From the Tobacco in Prisons Study.
- Authors: Brown A, Sweeting H, Logan G, Demou E, Hunt K
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 17
- UK news media representations of smoking, smoking policies and tobacco bans in prisons.
- Authors: Robinson A, Sweeting H, Hunt K
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Implementation and impact of anti-smoking interventions in three prisons in the absence of appropriate legislation.
- Authors: Etter JF, Ritter C, Christie DH, Kunz M, Rieder JP, Humair JP, Wolff H, Eytan A, Wahl C, Elger B
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Smoking-Related Behaviors and Effectiveness of Smoking Cessation Therapy Among Prisoners and Prison Staff.
- Authors: Turan O, Turan PA
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Smoking Beyond Prison Bans: The Impact of Prison Tobacco Bans on Smoking Among Prison Entrants.
- Authors: Albany H, Richmond R, Simpson M, Kariminia A, Hwang YIJ, Butler T
- Issue date: 2021 Dec