Perioperative Levosimendan Infusion in Patients With End-Stage Heart Failure Undergoing Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation.
Simpkin, Andrew J
mechanical circularity support
right-sided heart failure
MetadataShow full item record
JournalFrontiers in cardiovascular medicine
AbstractLeft ventricular assist device (LVAD) therapy has been instrumental in saving lives of patients with end-stage heart failure (HF). Recent generation devices have short-to-mid-term survival rates close to heart transplantation. Unfortunately, up to 1 in 4 patients develop a life-threatening right-sided HF (RHF) early post LVAD implantation, with high morbidity and mortality rate, necessitating prolonged ICU stay, prolonged inotropic support, and implantation of a right-ventricular assist device. Pre-operative optimization of HF therapy could help in prevention, and/or mitigation of RHF. Levosimendan (LEVO) is a non-conventional inotropic agent that works by amplifying calcium sensitivity of troponin C in cardiac myocytes, without increasing the intra-cellular calcium or exacerbating ischemia. LEVO acts as an inodilator, which reduces the cardiac pre-, and after-load. LEVO administration is associated with hemodynamic improvements. Despite decades long of the use of LVAD and more than two decades of the use of LEVO for HF, the literature on LEVO use in LVAD is very limited. In this paper, we sought to conduct a systematic review to synthesize evidence related to the use of LEVO for the mitigation and/or prevention of RHF in patients undergoing LVAD implantation.
- Efficacy of levosimendan infusion in patients undergoing a left ventricular assist device implant in a propensity score matched analysis of the EUROMACS registry-the Euro LEVO-LVAD study.
- Authors: Abdelshafy M, Caliskan K, Simpkin AJ, Elkoumy A, Kimman JR, Elsherbini H, Elzomor H, de By TMMH, Gollmann-Tepeköylü C, Berchtold-Herz M, Loforte A, Reineke D, Schoenrath F, Paluszkiewicz L, Gummert J, Mohacsi P, Meyns B, Soliman O
- Issue date: 2023 May 2
- Preoperative Levosimendan therapy reduces postoperative right ventricular failure in patients undergoing left ventricular assist device implantation.
- Authors: Sugimura Y, Kalampokas N, Arikan M, Rellecke P, Dalyanoglu H, Tudorache I, Westenfeld R, Boeken U, Lichtenberg A, Akhyari P, Aubin H
- Issue date: 2023 Jan 9
- Derivation and Validation of a Novel Right-Sided Heart Failure Model After Implantation of Continuous Flow Left Ventricular Assist Devices: The EUROMACS (European Registry for Patients with Mechanical Circulatory Support) Right-Sided Heart Failure Risk Score.
- Authors: Soliman OII, Akin S, Muslem R, Boersma E, Manintveld OC, Krabatsch T, Gummert JF, de By TMMH, Bogers AJJC, Zijlstra F, Mohacsi P, Caliskan K, EUROMACS Investigators
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 27
- Right heart failure after left ventricular assist device implantation in patients with chronic congestive heart failure.
- Authors: Dang NC, Topkara VK, Mercando M, Kay J, Kruger KH, Aboodi MS, Oz MC, Naka Y
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Right heart failure and "failure to thrive" after left ventricular assist device: clinical predictors and outcomes.
- Authors: Baumwol J, Macdonald PS, Keogh AM, Kotlyar E, Spratt P, Jansz P, Hayward CS
- Issue date: 2011 Aug