Stylohyoid Eagle syndrome and EXTracranial INternal Carotid arTery pseudoaneurysms (EXTINCT) with internal jugular vein nutcracker syndrome: a challenging clinical scenario.
KeywordsHead and neck surgery
Otolaryngology / ENT
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMJ case reports
AbstractCase report: We report a 4-year delay in diagnosing a combined carotid arterial and jugular venous styloid compression. The symptoms, which included dull neck pain, dizziness, intermittent diplopia, tinnitus, severe incapacitating right side headache and eye bloating, were challenging and wrongly attributed initially to various facial neuralgias. The patient presented during COVID-19 pandemic and was labelled as ‘carotidynia’ first and later as a transient perivascular inflammation of carotid artery syndrome. Combined targeted duplex ultrasonography and CT angiography with 3D reconstruction revealed a long styloid process and its tendinous-ligamentous attachments, injuring the internal carotid artery. Moreover, there was substantial internal jugular vein compression on a long C1 transverse process with a nutcracker syndrome. Release of the tendinous portion of the long styloid process and repair of the carotid artery pseudoaneurysm ended the patient’s complaints and allowed him to have a better quality of life.
- Eagle Syndrome Presenting with Neurological Symptoms.
- Authors: Aydin E, Quliyev H, Cinar C, Bozkaya H, Oran I
- Issue date: 2018
- Stylo-Jugular Venous Compression Syndrome: Lessons Based on a Case Report.
- Authors: Farina R, Foti PV, Pennisi I, Conti A, Meli GA, Vasile T, Gozzo C, Tallamona E, Inì C, Palmucci S, Venturini M, Basile A
- Issue date: 2021 Aug 24
- Eagle syndrome presenting with external carotid artery pseudoaneurysm.
- Authors: Dao A, Karnezis S, Lane JS 3rd, Fujitani RM, Saremi F
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- The eagle jugular syndrome.
- Authors: Zamboni P, Scerrati A, Menegatti E, Galeotti R, Lapparelli M, Traina L, Tessari M, Ciorba A, De Bonis P, Pelucchi S
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 21
- Giant pseudoaneurysm of the external carotid artery causing stroke: A case report.
- Authors: Budinčević H, Milošević M, Pavlović T
- Issue date: 2018 May