Bare necessities? The utility of full skin examination in the COVID-19 era.
INFECTION PREVENTION AND CONTROL
MetadataShow full item record
JournalClinical and experimental dermatology
AbstractFull skin examination (FSE) may improve the detection of malignant melanoma (MM). The objective of this study was to assess the safety of targeted lesion examination (TLE) compared with FSE in our Pigmented Lesion Clinic (PLC). Patients attending the PLC were randomized in a 2 : 1 ratio to FSE (intervention) or TLE (standard care). Demographic details and risk factors were documented, and the time taken to perform FSE and TLE was noted. Of 763 participants, 520 were assigned to FSE and 243 were assigned to TLE. On average, FSE took 4.02 min and TLE took 30 s to perform. Of the 520 participants assigned to FSE, 37 (7.1%) had incidental findings, of whom 12 patients (2.3%) had additional lesions biopsied. No additional melanomas were detected that would have been missed by use of the standard protocol. This study suggests that in low-risk patients referred to a PLC with a lesion of concern, the possibility of missing incidental cutaneous malignancies using lesion-directed examination is low.
- Frequency and characteristics of melanomas missed at a pigmented lesion clinic: a registry-based study.
- Authors: Carli P, Nardini P, Crocetti E, De Giorgi V, Giannotti B
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Incidental lesions found in veterans referred to dermatology: the value of a dermatologic examination.
- Authors: Kingsley-Loso JL, Grey KR, Hanson JL, Raju SI, Parks PR, Bershow AL, Warshaw EM
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Melanomas detected with the aid of total cutaneous photography.
- Authors: Feit NE, Dusza SW, Marghoob AA
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Melanoma detection rate and concordance between self-skin examination and clinical evaluation in patients attending a pigmented lesion clinic in Italy.
- Authors: Carli P, De Giorgi V, Nardini P, Mannone F, Palli D, Giannotti B
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Dermoscopy, with and without visual inspection, for diagnosing melanoma in adults.
- Authors: Dinnes J, Deeks JJ, Chuchu N, Ferrante di Ruffano L, Matin RN, Thomson DR, Wong KY, Aldridge RB, Abbott R, Fawzy M, Bayliss SE, Grainge MJ, Takwoingi Y, Davenport C, Godfrey K, Walter FM, Williams HC, Cochrane Skin Cancer Diagnostic Test Accuracy Group.
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 4