Zn-Containing Membranes for Guided Bone Regeneration in Dentistry.
Osorio, María T
Lynch, Christopher D
guided bone regeneration
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBarrier membranes are employed in guided bone regeneration (GBR) to facilitate bone in-growth. A bioactive and biomimetic Zn-doped membrane with the ability to participate in bone healing and regeneration is necessary. The aim of the present study is to state the effect of doping the membranes for GBR with zinc compounds in the improvement of bone regeneration. A literature search was conducted using electronic databases, such as PubMed, MEDLINE, DIMDI, Embase, Scopus and Web of Science. A narrative exploratory review was undertaken, focusing on the antibacterial effects, physicochemical and biological properties of Zn-loaded membranes. Bioactivity, bone formation and cytotoxicity were analyzed. Microstructure and mechanical properties of these membranes were also determined. Zn-doped membranes have inhibited in vivo and in vitro bacterial colonization. Zn-alloy and Zn-doped membranes attained good biocompatibility and were found to be non-toxic to cells. The Zn-doped matrices showed feasible mechanical properties, such as flexibility, strength, complex modulus and tan delta. Zn incorporation in polymeric membranes provided the highest regenerative efficiency for bone healing in experimental animals, potentiating osteogenesis, angiogenesis, biological activity and a balanced remodeling. Zn-loaded membranes doped with SiO2 nanoparticles have performed as bioactive modulators provoking an M2 macrophage increase and are a potential biomaterial for promoting bone repair. Zn-doped membranes have promoted pro-healing phenotypes.
- Doxycycline and Zinc Loaded Silica-Nanofibrous Polymers as Biomaterials for Bone Regeneration.
- Authors: Toledano M, Toledano-Osorio M, Osorio R, Carrasco-Carmona Á, Gutiérrez-Pérez JL, Gutiérrez-Corrales A, Serrera-Figallo MA, Lynch CD, Torres-Lagares D
- Issue date: 2020 May 25
- Polymeric zinc-doped nanoparticles for high performance in restorative dentistry.
- Authors: Toledano M, Vallecillo-Rivas M, Aguilera FS, Osorio MT, Osorio E, Osorio R
- Issue date: 2021 Apr
- A pure zinc membrane with degradability and osteogenesis promotion for guided bone regeneration: In vitro and in vivo studies.
- Authors: Guo H, Xia D, Zheng Y, Zhu Y, Liu Y, Zhou Y
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 1
- Novel non-resorbable polymeric-nanostructured scaffolds for guided bone regeneration.
- Authors: Toledano M, Gutierrez-Pérez JL, Gutierrez-Corrales A, Serrera-Figallo MA, Toledano-Osorio M, Rosales-Leal JI, Aguilar M, Osorio R, Torres-Lagares D
- Issue date: 2020 Jun
- Incorporation of Magnesium and Zinc Metallic Particles in PLGA Bi-layered Membranes with Sequential Ion Release for Guided Bone Regeneration.
- Authors: Tang H, Qi C, Bai Y, Niu X, Gu X, Fan Y
- Issue date: 2023 Jun 12