Vaccine Willingness and Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Women's Perinatal Experiences and Practices-A Multinational, Cross-Sectional Study Covering the First Wave of the Pandemic.
Richardson, Jonathan Luke
COMMUNITY HEALTH SERVICES
primary health care
MetadataShow full item record
JournalInternational journal of environmental research and public health
AbstractThe COVID-19 pandemic may be of particular concern for pregnant and breastfeeding women. We aimed to explore their beliefs about the coronavirus and COVID-19 vaccine willingness and to assess the impact of the pandemic on perinatal experiences and practices. A multinational, cross-sectional, web-based study was performed in six European countries between April and July 2020. The anonymous survey was promoted via social media. In total, 16,063 women participated (including 6661 pregnant and 9402 breastfeeding women). Most responses were collected from Belgium (44%), Norway (18%) and the Netherlands (16%), followed by Switzerland (11%), Ireland (10%) and the UK (3%). Despite differences between countries, COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy was identified among 40-50% of the respondents at the end of the first wave of the pandemic and was higher among pregnant women. Education level and employment status were associated with vaccine hesitancy. The first wave had an adverse impact on pregnancy experiences and disrupted access to health services and breastfeeding support for many women. In the future, access to health care and support should be maintained at all times. Evidence-based and tailored information on COVID-19 vaccines should also be provided to pregnant and breastfeeding women to avoid unfounded concerns about the vaccines and to support shared decision making in this population.
- SARS-CoV-2 Infections and Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic in Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: Results from an Observational Study in Primary Care in Belgium.
- Authors: Ceulemans M, Verbakel JY, Van Calsteren K, Eerdekens A, Allegaert K, Foulon V
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 17
- Mental health status of pregnant and breastfeeding women during the COVID-19 pandemic-A multinational cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Ceulemans M, Foulon V, Ngo E, Panchaud A, Winterfeld U, Pomar L, Lambelet V, Cleary B, O'Shaughnessy F, Passier A, Richardson JL, Hompes T, Nordeng H
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- Self-Reported Medication Use among Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women during the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Cross-Sectional Study in Five European Countries.
- Authors: Ceulemans M, Foulon V, Panchaud A, Winterfeld U, Pomar L, Lambelet V, Cleary B, O'Shaughnessy F, Passier A, Richardson JL, Nordeng H
- Issue date: 2022 Jan 26
- SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine Willingness among Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women during the First Pandemic Wave: A Cross-Sectional Study in Switzerland.
- Authors: Stuckelberger S, Favre G, Ceulemans M, Nordeng H, Gerbier E, Lambelet V, Stojanov M, Winterfeld U, Baud D, Panchaud A, Pomar L
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 22
- Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on Swiss pregnant and breastfeeding women - a cross-sectional study covering the first pandemic wave.
- Authors: Lambelet V, Ceulemans M, Nordeng H, Favre G, Horsch A, Stojanov M, Winterfeld U, Baud D, Panchaud A, Pomar L
- Issue date: 2021 Sep 13