Ottawa Knee Rule: Investigating Use and Application in a Tertiary Teaching Hospital.
ottawa knee rule
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground Knee injuries are encountered commonly in the emergency departments (EDs) in Ireland. Validated clinical decision rules such as Ottawa knee rule (OKR) can be used in acute knee injury settings to reduce the number of unnecessary radiography. Clinical judgment can be used to distinguish between suspected fractures and non-fractures in many cases; however, radiography is still routinely requested. Objectives We evaluated the OKRs in a high-volume tertiary teaching hospital in Ireland to determine whether the rule could be safely used to decide whether patients with acute blunt knee trauma should undergo radiography. Methods This was an observational study conducted in the ED over a three-month period in a tertiary referral hospital. A total of 110 patients with acute knee injuries were examined using OKR. Inclusion criteria included patients with acute knee injuries due to blunt trauma or twisting injury and patients with lacerations or contusions. Open fractures and fractures due to penetrating injury were excluded from the study. Results Fractures were seen in 12 (13.2%) of the 110 patents who met the inclusion criteria. The OKR predicted all 12 fractures. Sensitivity was 100%, and specificity was 39%. Conclusions The OKR is highly sensitive for fracture in this setting and can be safely used to decide whether patients with acute blunt knee trauma should undergo radiography.
- External validation of the Ottawa knee rules in an urban trauma center in the United States.
- Authors: Tigges S, Pitts S, Mukundan S Jr, Morrison D, Olson M, Shahriara A
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Ottawa Knee Rule: a comparison of physician and triage-nurse utilization of a decision rule for knee injury radiography.
- Authors: Matteucci MJ, Roos JA
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- Validation of the Ottawa Knee Rule in Iran: a prospective study.
- Authors: Jalili M, Gharebaghi H
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Applicability of Ottawa knee rule for knee injury in children.
- Authors: Khine H, Dorfman DH, Avner JR
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- Can emergency department triage nurses appropriately utilize the Ottawa Knee Rules to order radiographs?-An implementation trial.
- Authors: Kec RM, Richman PB, Szucs PA, Mandell M, Eskin B
- Issue date: 2003 Feb