Cardiovascular Clinical Trials in a Pandemic: Immediate Implications of Coronavirus Disease 2019.
Brugts, Jasper J
Tijssen, Jan Gp
Van Mieghem, Nicolas M
MetadataShow full item record
JournalCardiac failure review
AbstractThe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic started in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China, in December 2019, and by 24 April 2020, it had affected >2.73 million people in 185 countries and caused >192,000 deaths. Despite diverse societal measures to reduce transmission of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, such as implementing social distancing, quarantine, curfews and total lockdowns, its control remains challenging. Healthcare practitioners are at the frontline of defence against the virus, with increasing institutional and governmental supports. Nevertheless, new or ongoing clinical trials, not related to the disease itself, remain important for the development of new therapies, and require interactions among patients, clinicians and research personnel, which is challenging, given isolation measures. In this article, the authors summarise the acute effects and consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic on current cardiovascular trials.
- The 2019-2020 Novel Coronavirus (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2) Pandemic: A Joint American College of Academic International Medicine-World Academic Council of Emergency Medicine Multidisciplinary COVID-19 Working Group Consensus Paper.
- Authors: Stawicki SP, Jeanmonod R, Miller AC, Paladino L, Gaieski DF, Yaffee AQ, De Wulf A, Grover J, Papadimos TJ, Bloem C, Galwankar SC, Chauhan V, Firstenberg MS, Di Somma S, Jeanmonod D, Garg SM, Tucci V, Anderson HL, Fatimah L, Worlton TJ, Dubhashi SP, Glaze KS, Sinha S, Opara IN, Yellapu V, Kelkar D, El-Menyar A, Krishnan V, Venkataramanaiah S, Leyfman Y, Saoud Al Thani HA, Wb Nanayakkara P, Nanda S, Cioè-Peña E, Sardesai I, Chandra S, Munasinghe A, Dutta V, Dal Ponte ST, Izurieta R, Asensio JA, Garg M
- Issue date: 2020 Apr-Jun
- Epidemiology, virology, and clinical features of severe acute respiratory syndrome -coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2; Coronavirus Disease-19).
- Authors: Park SE
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Medical research during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Authors: AlNaamani K, AlSinani S, Barkun AN
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 6
- The novel zoonotic COVID-19 pandemic: An expected global health concern.
- Authors: Contini C, Di Nuzzo M, Barp N, Bonazza A, De Giorgio R, Tognon M, Rubino S
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 31
- The deadly coronaviruses: The 2003 SARS pandemic and the 2020 novel coronavirus epidemic in China.
- Authors: Yang Y, Peng F, Wang R, Yange M, Guan K, Jiang T, Xu G, Sun J, Chang C
- Issue date: 2020 May