Developing a lung nodule management protocol specifically for cardiac CT: Methodology in the DISCHARGE trial.
KeywordsACR, American College of Radiology
Computed tomography angiography*
LDCT, low-dose computed tomography
NLST, national lung cancer screening trial
eCRF, electronic clinical report form
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEuropean journal of radiology open
AbstractPurpose: In this methodology paper we describe the development of a lung nodule management algorithm specifically for patients undergoing cardiac CT. Methods: We modified the Lung-RADS algorithm specifically to manage lung nodules incidentally detected on cardiac CT (Lung-RADS for cardiac CT). We will evaluate the modified algorithm as part of the DISCHARGE trial (www.dischargetrial.eu) in which patients with suspected coronary artery disease are randomly assigned to cardiac CT or invasive coronary angiography across Europe at 16 sites involving 3546 patients. Patients will be followed for up to four years. Results: The major adjustments to Lung-RADS specifically for cardiac CT relate to 1) incomplete coverage of the lungs by cardiac CT compared with chest CT, and when to order a completion chest CT versus a follow up chest CT, 2) cardiac CT findings will not trigger annual lung-cancer screening, and 3) a lower threshold of at least 10 mm for classifying new ground glass nodules as probably benign (category 3). Conclusions: The DISCHARGE trial will assess a lung nodule management algorithm designed specifically for cardiac CT in patients with stable chest pain across Europe.
- Lung cancer probability in patients with CT-detected pulmonary nodules: a prespecified analysis of data from the NELSON trial of low-dose CT screening.
- Authors: Horeweg N, van Rosmalen J, Heuvelmans MA, van der Aalst CM, Vliegenthart R, Scholten ET, ten Haaf K, Nackaerts K, Lammers JW, Weenink C, Groen HJ, van Ooijen P, de Jong PA, de Bock GH, Mali W, de Koning HJ, Oudkerk M
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Risk assessment in relation to the detection of small pulmonary nodules.
- Authors: Field JK, Marcus MW, Oudkerk M
- Issue date: 2017 Feb
- Lung-RADS Version 1.0 versus Lung-RADS Version 1.1: Comparison of Categories Using Nodules from the National Lung Screening Trial.
- Authors: Kastner J, Hossain R, Jeudy J, Dako F, Mehta V, Dalal S, Dharaiya E, White C
- Issue date: 2021 Jul
- Early detection of lung cancer using ultra-low-dose computed tomography in coronary CT angiography scans among patients with suspected coronary heart disease.
- Authors: Zanon M, Pacini GS, de Souza VVS, Marchiori E, Meirelles GSP, Szarf G, Torres FS, Hochhegger B
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Management and Outcomes of Suspected Infectious and Inflammatory Lung Abnormalities Identified on Lung Cancer Screening CT.
- Authors: Mendoza DP, Chintanapakdee W, Zhang EW, Gilman MD, Lennes IT, Frank AJ, Shepard JO, Digumarthy SR
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 30