The rationale for Janus kinase inhibitors for the treatment of spondyloarthritis.
AuthorsVeale, Douglas J
McInnes, Iain B
Krueger, James G
Ritchlin, Christopher T
Kanik, Keith S
MetadataShow full item record
JournalRheumatology (Oxford, England)
AbstractThe pathogenesis of SpA is multifactorial and involves a range of immune cell types and cytokines, many of which utilize Janus kinase (JAK) pathways for signaling. In this review, we summarize the animal and pre-clinical data that have demonstrated the effects of JAK blockade on the underlying molecular mechanisms of SpA and provide a rationale for JAK inhibition for the treatment of SpA. We also review the available clinical trial data evaluating JAK inhibitors tofacitinib, baricitinib, peficitinib, filgotinib and upadacitinib in PsA, AS and related inflammatory diseases, which have demonstrated the efficacy of these agents across a range of SpA-associated disease manifestations. The available clinical trial data, supported by pre-clinical animal model studies demonstrate that JAK inhibition is a promising therapeutic strategy for the treatment of SpA and may offer the potential for improvements in multiple articular and extra-articular disease manifestations of PsA and AS.
- The new entries in the therapeutic armamentarium: The small molecule JAK inhibitors.
- Authors: Bechman K, Yates M, Galloway JB
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Janus kinase/signal transducer and activator of transcription pathways in spondyloarthritis.
- Authors: Raychaudhuri SK, Raychaudhuri SP
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- [Janus kinase inhibitors : State of the art in clinical use and future perspectives].
- Authors: Alten R, Mischkewitz M, Stefanski AL, Dörner T
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Emerging treatment options for spondyloarthritis.
- Authors: Torgutalp M, Poddubnyy D
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Janus kinase inhibitors for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis demonstrate similar profiles of in vitro cytokine receptor inhibition.
- Authors: Dowty ME, Lin TH, Jesson MI, Hegen M, Martin DA, Katkade V, Menon S, Telliez JB
- Issue date: 2019 Dec