HepCare Europe-A service innovation project. HepCheck: Characteristics of the patient population with active infection as defined by HCV RNA.
Mc Hugh, Tina
Naughton, Anna Marie
Lambert, John S
Integrated HCV care
People who inject drugs (PWID)
MetadataShow full item record
JournalInternational journal of infectious diseases : IJID : official publication of the International Society for Infectious Diseases
AbstractBACKGROUND: Hepatitis C virus (HCV) is a main cause of chronic liver disease worldwide and is consistently under-diagnosed. Community-based screening initiatives, such as HepCheck, have been identified as important components of HCV care. HepCheck focuses on screening and identifying HCV RNA-positive cases in high-risk populations and linking them to care as part of a larger European project to improve HCV care (HepCare). METHODS: HCV testing with a self-administered questionnaire was offered to 2822 individuals. RESULTS: There were 2079 patients screened. Overall, 397 (19%) of the total screened cohort were identified as having active HCV infections as measured by HCV RNA PCR. The patients were mostly male (84%), white (88%), and had a history of injecting drug use (IDU) (86%), homelessness (58%), and tattooing (42%). There were 136 new cases (7% of the total sample and 34% of identified active infections). Romania had the highest proportion of newly identified cases with 87%, then Ireland with 60%, and Spain with 43%; the UK had the lowest proportion of new cases at 10%. CONCLUSIONS: For those lost to follow-up, a major strategy is re-engagement. For those newly diagnosed, the 'seek and treat' approach is a key strategy. Thus, different priorities are defined for different countries.
- HepCare Europe: a service innovation project. HepCheck: enhancing HCV identification and linkage to care for vulnerable populations through intensified outreach screening. A prospective multisite feasibility study.
- Authors: Barror S, Avramovic G, Oprea C, Surey J, Story A, Macías J, Cullen W, Crowley D, Horan A, Naughton AM, Iglesias M, Ianache I, Lazar S, Popa I, McHugh T, Menezes D, Tinago W, Lambert JS
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 1
- Exploring and understanding HCV patient journeys- HEPCARE Europe project.
- Authors: Glaspy S, Avramovic G, McHugh T, Oprea C, Surey J, Ianache I, Macías J, Story A, Cullen W, Lambert JS
- Issue date: 2021 Mar 5
- 'HepCheck Dublin': an intensified hepatitis C screening programme in a homeless population demonstrates the need for alternative models of care.
- Authors: Lambert JS, Murtagh R, Menezes D, O'Carroll A, Murphy C, Cullen W, McHugh T, Avramovic G, Tinago W, Van Hout MC
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 7
- Hepatitis C among vulnerable populations: A seroprevalence study of homeless, people who inject drugs and prisoners in London.
- Authors: Aisyah DN, Shallcross L, Hayward A, Aldridge RW, Hemming S, Yates S, Ferenando G, Possas L, Garber E, Watson JM, Geretti AM, McHugh TD, Lipman M, Story A
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- HepCare Ireland-a service innovation project.
- Authors: Connolly SP, Avramovic G, Cullen W, McHugh T, O'Connor E, Mc Combe G, Crowley D, Naughton AM, Horan A, Lambert JS
- Issue date: 2021 May