KeywordsPigmented lesion clinic
Distance to travel
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOur aim was to review cases of melanoma diagnosed histologically in UHK in 2016 and to compare them to cases of melanoma nationally and in Kerry. Methods For each patient we recorded age, Breslow depth, and shortest distance to travel by car and travelling time (without traffic) to the South Infirmary Victoria University Hospital (SIVUH) from their primary residence (calculated using Google maps™ (2018)). Results 20 cases of invasive melanoma were diagnosed in UHK in 2016. Of the 20 cases, 9 (45%) presented at a very advanced stage with a Breslow depth of greater than 4mm. A further 7 (35%) cases had a depth of 1.5-4mm. These patients with invasive melanoma had a mean age of 72.5 (±15). The mean shortest distance to travel from the patient’s primary residence to the SIVUH was 114.8km (±15.5) taking an average of 102 minutes (±14.6) by car. Conclusion Cases of melanoma diagnosed locally in UHK presented at an advanced stage compared to the national average. We suspect that the long distances to travel to the SIVUH pigmented lesion clinic is a barrier for these patients.
- Improved malignant melanoma prognosis at a consultant-delivered multidisciplinary pigmented lesion clinic in Cork.
- Authors: Field S, Deady S, Fitzgibbon J, Murphy M, Comber H
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Distance to diagnosing provider as a measure of access for patients with melanoma.
- Authors: Stitzenberg KB, Thomas NE, Dalton K, Brier SE, Ollila DW, Berwick M, Mattingly D, Millikan RC
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Clinical and pathological features of acral melanoma in a South African population: A retrospective study.
- Authors: De Wet J, Tod B, Visser WI, Jordaan HF, Schneider JW
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 28
- Symptoms and signs of primary melanoma: important indicators of Breslow depth.
- Authors: Negin BP, Riedel E, Oliveria SA, Berwick M, Coit DG, Brady MS
- Issue date: 2003 Jul 15
- Trends in the diagnosis of melanoma at a university center over time.
- Authors: Tschandl P, Pehamberger H, Kittler H
- Issue date: 2013 Mar