Caecal Epiploic Appendagitis Masquerading Clinically as an Acute Appendicitis: A Case Report and Brief Literature Review.
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherCase Reports in Surgery
JournalCase Reports in Surgery
AbstractA 46-year-old female presented to our emergency department (ED) with a 2-day history of right lower abdominal pain which was associated with nausea and anorexia. Abdominal examination revealed tenderness in the right iliac fossa (RIF) with rebound tenderness and a localized guarding. Urine dipstick was normal, and the pregnancy test was negative. Her laboratory investigations were significant only for a CRP of 16.6. A presumptive clinical diagnosis of acute appendicitis was suggested based on the given history and relevant physical signs. However, an abdominal computed tomography (CT) scan revealed an epiploic appendagitis of the caecum with a normal-looking appendix. She was managed conservatively and responded well and was discharged after 2 days in good health. Though being a relatively rare case of acute localized right-sided lower abdominal pain, caecal epiploic appendagitis should be considered as one of the differential diagnoses with the final diagnosis reached usually by the radiological findings due to the nonspecific nature of clinical and laboratory features.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States
- Epiploic appendagitis.
- Authors: Gandhi J, Gandhi N
- Issue date: 2009
- Acute epiploic appendagitis at the tip of the appendix mimicking acute appendicitis: A rare case report with literature review.
- Authors: Huang K, Waheed A, Juan W, Misra S, Alpendre C, Jones S
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 27
- Epiploic appendagitis of the vermiform appendix--An unusual mimic of acute appendicitis.
- Authors: Aljilly S, Ahmed Z
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Primary Epiploic Appendagitis Mimicking Acute Appendicitis: A Case Report and Narrative Review of the Literature.
- Authors: Kefala MA, Tepelenis K, Stefanou CK, Stefanou SK, Papathanakos G, Kitsouli A, Tepelenis N, Kitsoulis P
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 25
- Torsion of epiploic appendage mimic acute appendicitis.
- Authors: Pogorelić Z, Stipić R, Druzijanić N, Perko Z, Grandić L, Vilović K, Mrklić I, Jurić I, Boschi V, Bekavac J
- Issue date: 2011 Dec