Caecal Epiploic Appendagitis Masquerading Clinically as an Acute Appendicitis: A Case Report and Brief Literature Review.
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherCase Reports in Surgery
JournalCase Reports in Surgery
AbstractA 46-year-old female presented to our emergency department (ED) with a 2-day history of right lower abdominal pain which was associated with nausea and anorexia. Abdominal examination revealed tenderness in the right iliac fossa (RIF) with rebound tenderness and a localized guarding. Urine dipstick was normal, and the pregnancy test was negative. Her laboratory investigations were significant only for a CRP of 16.6. A presumptive clinical diagnosis of acute appendicitis was suggested based on the given history and relevant physical signs. However, an abdominal computed tomography (CT) scan revealed an epiploic appendagitis of the caecum with a normal-looking appendix. She was managed conservatively and responded well and was discharged after 2 days in good health. Though being a relatively rare case of acute localized right-sided lower abdominal pain, caecal epiploic appendagitis should be considered as one of the differential diagnoses with the final diagnosis reached usually by the radiological findings due to the nonspecific nature of clinical and laboratory features.
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States
- Epiploic appendagitis.
- Authors: Gandhi J, Gandhi N
- Issue date: 2009
- Torsion of epiploic appendage mimic acute appendicitis.
- Authors: Pogorelić Z, Stipić R, Druzijanić N, Perko Z, Grandić L, Vilović K, Mrklić I, Jurić I, Boschi V, Bekavac J
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Epiploic appendagitis: A rare cause of acute abdomen.
- Authors: Chu EA, Kaminer E
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Cecal epiploic appendagitis: a diagnostic and therapeutic dilemma.
- Authors: Patel VG, Rao A, Williams R, Srinivasan R, Fortson JK, Weaver WL
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- A case report of epiploic appendagitis as a mimic of acute cholecystitis.
- Authors: Chan E, El-Banna A
- Issue date: 2018