Health system changes needed to support people consulting general practice out of hours services in Ireland.
AffiliationIrish College of General Practitioners
Out of hours
MetadataShow full item record
JournalInternational Journal of Mental Health Systems
AbstractMental illness acts as a barrier to accessing and obtaining effective medical care. It has been shown that out of hours services are an important first stop for emergency care for people experiencing mental health difficulties. However, little is in fact known about the use of out of hours general practice services by people experiencing mental health difficulties. To establish the number and range of consultations that have a primary or related mental health issue attending general practitioner (GP) out of hours and to document adherence to their follow-up care referral. Descriptive study in one large out of hours primary care service in the South East of Ireland (Caredoc). An anonymous extraction of retrospective data from 1 year of the out of hours' electronic database was undertaken. Patients who attended the out of hours with a possible mental health issue and were referred to the psychiatric services or back to their own GP, were tracked via phone follow-up with hospitals and GPs over 6 months to establish if they attended for the recommend follow-up care.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States
- Emergency department utilisation by older people in metropolitan Melbourne, 2008-12: findings from the Reducing Older Patient's Avoidable Presentations for Emergency Care Treatment (REDIRECT) study.
- Authors: Mazza D, Pearce C, Joe A, Turner LR, Brijnath B, Browning C, Shearer M, Lowthian J
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- 'Just lie there and die': barriers to access and use of general practitioner out-of-hours services for older people in rural Ireland.
- Authors: Smith SC, Carragher L
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Out-of-hours demand for GP care and emergency services: patients' choices and referrals by general practitioners and ambulance services.
- Authors: Moll van Charante EP, van Steenwijk-Opdam PC, Bindels PJ
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 1
- Follow-up care by patient's own general practitioner after contact with out-of-hours care. A descriptive study.
- Authors: van Uden CJ, Zwietering PJ, Hobma SO, Ament AJ, Wesseling G, van Schayck OC, Crebolder HF
- Issue date: 2005 Jun 9
- Walk-ins seeking treatment at an emergency department or general practitioner out-of-hours service: a cross-sectional comparison.
- Authors: Chmiel C, Huber CA, Rosemann T, Zoller M, Eichler K, Sidler P, Senn O
- Issue date: 2011 May 9